Crawl space support

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

*moved this thread out of the Workshop forum and into the General Forum. Please read below concerning workshop guidelines.

The concept of this forum section is to have interactive workshops where one of our experienced Reefers will walk us through the topic of the individual Workshop. With in the individual workshop threads feel free to post questions relating to the topic to the author of the workshop thread.
We ask that you don't not start any threads yourself as we want to keep the forum as clean as possible and just loaded with the workshops.

Its no problem. I just wanted to post why, so no one was saying, "hey, where'd that thread go?.....I swear it was here". :)

I added extra support for my 210g. Luckily my situation was pretty simple. I put the tank across the joists and next to a load bearing wall. There is a huge support beam just below that wall that supports the center of the house. Instead of doing the boxing as described, I doubled up the 6 joists under my tank with short joists that span the area where my tank will be. I then added an extra beam and four posts to support the new joists (and the existing ones. It only cost me about $100 and a few hours to install. The install time will vary widely depending upon your crawl space and what is already in or around the area where you will be doing the install.

The piece of mind is worth much more than the cost of installing the support. I haven't checked mine in a while... I think I'll do that this weekend. A little paranoia also works as a good insurance policy :D

Back