Crazy Pistol Shrimp Behavior

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LarryB

So, I have had this pistol shrimp for over a year, with yasa hashe goby. I have never seen him more than 6 inches from his burrow. Well this morning I saw him do 3 laps around the perimiter of the tank, and even swam about 1/2 way up a couple times. Think everything is alright? Was he just antsy? Spring fever? I would love it if he did that more often.

You know, mine has been really weird lately to. Mine has been crawling all over my rock work and kicked my shrimp goby out to pair with my fire fish. It started last weekend. I wonder why they are being so active?

My shrimp have changed behaviors too...(my cleanershrimp has started climing the walls and my coral banded shrimp suddenly changed territories from lower back corner to front corner on opposite end of tank.)

My Goby has been spending time away from the shrimp the last couple days as well, i wonder if the shrimp kicked him out as well? weird.

I saw my biggest pistol shrimp's claw laying on the sand bed this morning.:( I have no idea what could have killed it unless it just lost its claw?

I have had mine go missing a few times but he always shows back up. But 3 laps around the tank is unheard of!

Maybe they were all acting crazy because there was a full moon or something...lol I saw mine swimming around the tank one nite, but the lights were already off when he did that. If yours did it in the daytime, that woulda been pretty cool to see:) Mine snaps daily, usually in the evening tho. :)

I usually hear some snapping daily, but I think I may have a hitchhiker pistol in there as well.

sounds like a soap opera of some kind. My pistol shrimp is building some kind of monument out of my rock rubble, next to his door that he built. The funniest thing happened today. I have a dead pencil urchin spine that came with some rock rubble that I got just for the pistol shrimp to build with so he walks over to the pile and picks it up and I swear he was going to make a flag pole with it next to his home.

Back