Crazy Question: Anyone never test their water?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ugla

So my 100 gallon reef has been set up for over 15 years. Last summer I swapped it with a 125 tank to clean things up and add a closed loop and one more overflow.

Other than salinity, temp and Ph which is monitored by my controller, I have not used a test kit in at least 12 years.

I replenish evaporaation with Kalkwasser automatically every morning with the controller and do 35 gallon water changes once a month or so.

Everything always works and everything thrives.

I am not planning on fixing it till it breaks. I have lots of fish, SPS and RBTA.

I know this goes against all common wisdom. But it just kind of happened when I automated everything.

The only thing that seems to give me problems is going too long without a water change.

I am waiting for a new skimmer to arrive that should keep things a lot cleaner and that will help even more.

Just thought I would stir the pot some. Back in my years of fresh water tanks, I found the less I messed with things and added stuff, the longer everything lived.

I have had my 125 up for 4 years (3 upgrade), mixed reef with nems also. I dose nothing, pretty automated system except water changes and even the rodi water and the old water are plumbed so I do not carry any water clean or dirty. Been 6 months at least since I tested, but
when I tested 2 weeks ago and everything is right on. Have a PH monitor and heaters and fans are on a Ranco 2 stage, 20% water change every 2 weeks, light bio load. I agree once a tank matures it can be almost as easy as a fresh water tank. See so many people buying and dosing with so many magic potions, that sometimes I just want to scream save your money and take your time. I run middle of the road equipment. As far as going against common wisdom, if it works for the individual then it is wise.

I haven't tested anything except the salinity in about 11-12 years.
I use to test like a madman, but found that I could let my corals tell me how things were.
I've kept to a very steady water change routine and that is pretty much it.

I don't but my tank is telling me I should. But I also just got a Rodi. So I should start to see a great improvement.

I have tested infrequently for past two years or so just because I have switched things up so much. Prior to that went 10+ yrs without doing any testing other than S.G for mixing up fresh SW, like Martin I let my corals tell me what was going on. Xenia IMHO are an extremely accurate PH monitor and by a quick glance could tell you if below 8.0 or setting pretty at 8.1-8.3. When they SCREAM out 7.7 you can almost hear them...lol

Cheers, Todd

I cant remember the last time I tested my softy and lps tanks. They probably get checked once or twice a year if for some reason I think it needs to be checked.
The sps tank gets checked periodically, but not as often as it should. About once or twice a month

Nice to know I am in good company. It is so much easier to reef when you don't stress over testing and dosing stuff.

Haven't tested a single thing in about 4 years.

Feels bad to not have a tank :doubt:

Oh, but before that, I tested alk, mag, calcium, and salinity every week. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well, i usually wouldnt even mention it, and i would never suggest it to a noob,
or even anyone with less than at least 5 solid years of reefing,
but yeah, i have NEVER tested the parameters in my reef except salinity
and ph. why??
because ive been keeping saltwater tanks for over 20 years now,
and at a glance and knowing the ph, i can determine if i need to dose.
i use brightwell aquatics 2 part calcium/mag and alk buffer solutions twice a week,
iodine, koral color, restore, multi-vitimins, and amino acids.

but i would emplore all 5 year and less reefers to test your damn tank!!!

At a glance you guys can tell if your calc, alk, and mag are balanced?

If your corals are growing(I'm talking about SPS here), then they will deplete calc, alk, and mag. Therefore you must add some sort of 2 part supplement, kalkwasser, or a calcium reactor. How could you possibly know how much to add without testing your tank to see if it is stable? Even then, as your tank grows, it will use more and more, so will require occasional adjustments to stay in balance. I don't see how you could possibly have an optimized sps tank without testing sometimes(at least once a month).

I do test my sps tank at least once, if not twice a month. I should be doing it more often. Yeah it does change when the coral grows and every few months I will stop dosing and test every day for a few days to see what they are using and adjust my dosing if needed.

IPisces- That is where I am at as well. Try to do calk/alk/sg at least twice a month, and mag once every month or two. The one part of testing that I have gotten lazy about lately is testing each new bucket of salt to make sure it is right.

I do the same as you with my 220. I used to test all the time (as newbies should), but after time I could recognize how the corals were doing. However, I just ordered three of the Hanna testers because of how easy they appear to be to use. I am looking at starting some difficult corals, so I want to make sure things are perfect before dropping the big bucks.

I have another random question. I keep hearing about people automating part of their tanks. can someone show me an example of what a controller is that you would use and also how you would use it?

thanks

ummmmm....just wow! I can't believe these stories of people not testing. I basically never test for ammonia, nitrite and rare occasiion nitrates and phosphates because are always zero(elos says)....but I can't fathom not testing for calcium and alk.

you all are getting a your hands slapped! :fish:

I don't test often either. My tank is a 90, its been set up about 3 years now (previous tank was 29 and was set up about 3 years as well). My tank is a mixed reef, probably more SPS than anything else. Water changes are usually done weekly though, and my skimmer is very good. Salinity is checked when making new water, I don't dose anything so i don't do calcium tests or anything like that.

Again though, it's one of those things where i know what everything should look like, and i don'y put anything into the system except fresh water every week.

Back