Its Started!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Boy do I have a lot of updating to do for you people. LONG post...sorry.

There has been a lot of good, and bad things happening. But I am still pushing forward as I look for solutions. And that's why I am posting here now.

Where to start....
As I may have stated much earlier, I used to have a hobby business doing this reefing addiction. One of my friends-customers had a few tanks that I helped them sort out. (10 years ago) Well, my friends have come into serious health issues and asked me to take their remaining 75 gal tank as they just couldn't care for it anymore. So I took the livestock and dropped them in my awaiting Q-tank. I know it is a serious issue dropping them into a barely cycled Q tank but I had no choice as moving a 75 with 150# plus of live rock would create havoc. The tank was a worse case scenario with detritus buildup measurable with a ruler in the tank. Can you say obscene nitrates? Took me a week to scrub the tank and accessories down. (I am older now and on meds after a cpl strokes and don't have the energy I used to and must take things slow)

Livestock acquired in tank rescue include 2 Hippo's about 6-7 inches with HLLE disease. (getting better with vitamins) one Yellow tang, (didn't make it due to HLLE) and 2 Perc clowns.

In the last few months I have made 900 gallons of fresh SW doing constant WC's. I needed to purchase a new Reef Octopus skimmer as the ETSS Reef Devil just kept burping large bubbles and killing the skim-mate.

Next one MH ballast took a crap. So I bought a cheap LED to tide me over.

Currently I am at 20ppm nitrates on the 55 Q tank and still VERY high on the 75. (I'll get to this topic later)

Now all that was to be expected under the circumstances. Now the very bad stuff. We are having a drought here in upstate NY and my well went dry. Barely enough water for showers and bathrooms/laundry/dishes. (life) This brought my WC's to a halt. So I purchased another RO membrane to half my waste water. Now at 150 GPD system. My pressure pump is in the mail to drop waste lower.

With all of this my 220 gallon tank purchase is on hold. Mike at Oceans By Design and I have come up with a great build, but on hold. If I can't take care of a 55 and 75, how can I do a 220? It's all about.....WATER! lol.

If anyone is interested, I will post pics of tank design.

So, that is my update. Been super busy with this so I have not had much time to pay attention to the forum. I will try harder.

Back