Critique my refugium design

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

thecapn

Planning a fuge/sump... please critique my design and offer any suggestions you have.

fuge5zt.jpg

It's kind of hard for me to understand the picture...Is that a top view? If so, how does that work with the water flow going around corners or is that a top view, but showing the baffle setup from the sides? Sorry I'm a bit confused:p

krish75 said:
It's kind of hard for me to understand the picture...Is that a top view? If so, how does that work with the water flow going around corners or is that a top view, but showing the baffle setup from the sides? Sorry I'm a bit confused:p

Yes, top view.

Yes, top view.

K...Well, if it is a top view, but showing how the baffles will look looking in from the sides, you will more than likely need to add a bubble trap at the end. With a big drop off like that in the return chamber, it may create tons of micro-bubbles that will be returned to the tank. Just a thought...

Ok, here's a revamp--side view.

sump26fq.jpg

Let me know what you guys think about putting live sand between the return-side baffles.

Leave the LS out, there's not enough to do any thing but cause problems. Change the baffles to under then over, remember bubbles float.

Don

I agree with Don...The live sand wouldn't be worth it and the bubble trap will eliminate bubbles being returned to the tank. Also, that second baffle counting from the left side next to the skimmer, IMO isn't really necessary or if you want to use it, I would leave the gap at the bottom rather than the top. Just my 2 cents worth...Nevertheless, looks like a great plan!:)

Looking better...I'd personally w still reverse the baffles to help with ridding the return with micro-bubbles. I'll run down and shoot a photo of mine to show you what I mean. Before adding in the extra baffles, I had trouble with micro-bubbles, now I don't. Give me a few minutes to take them, download them and post them:)

K...Here's basically how my sump has evolved from a wet/dry to a sump/refugium. I converted it by adding in baffles and this first pic shows what I meant by reversing the baffles. I also, added on another chamber as well for more volume which you will see all the way to the right with the bulkhead through it in the second picture. In any event, before adding on the extra chamber and my sump was up and running like in the first picture, I had no micro-bubbles being returned to the tank. The way you have yours setup now in your last drawing may work just fine and you may not get any micro bubbles in your return chamber, but you are more likely to get them the way you have it if the water is flowing quickly and falling far and hard into the last chamber...My way is not necessarily correct and the only way. I'd just hate for you to construct the sump and get frustrated if you have micro bubbles being returned to the tank especially seeing your skimmer will be sitting in the chamber right before the return and skimmers sometimes produce tons of micro-bubbles on their outputs. There are ways to eliminate micro-bubbles if you do get any like using a sponge where the water enters the last chamber to catch them or you can put an elbow on your input of your return pump and have it suck like an inch off of the bottom of the sump as the bubbles will rise in the last chamber and you'll be sucking from down low. HTH:)

Last edited:
Thanks for those pictures, Krish. That helps a lot!

I still have a lot of time, moving out in a month or so.

Still have a lot of reading to do, too.

Thanks for those pictures, Krish. That helps a lot!

I still have a lot of time, moving out in a month or so.

Still have a lot of reading to do, too.

Good luck with the move! I hope all goes well...Time is a good thing. Just read as much as you can, ask as many questions as you can and do what you want to do and not what someone else wants you to do. I personally just love to offer my opinion as info to help others come to their decision. My way IMO is never the right way, just what I know and works for me. I'm still a newbie in the hobby and have tons to learn! I'm just finally ready for corals so I'm sure I will have tons of questions for these guys here(LOL) I wish you all the best and I'm sure you will get everything sorted out and working in tip top shape:)

Wife agreed to the 65 gallon, so I'm ordering one.

I'll have a while before I move if I decide to drill/install more bulkheads.

Back