Crocea clam "browning" / bleaching

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NanoReefie

I have a Crocea clam that has some brown patches, could this be bleaching or not enough light? I'm running Vertex Illumilux LEDs, which should provide more than enough light. I've also just added a couple of Ecoxotic White & Blue stunners to add a bit more light. I tried moving the clam up higher near the LEDs with no change, so I've ended up moving it back a little lower (10" from LEDs). Will it get the colour back or will it stay brown? It has great blue colouration on the mantle, so I'd rather have it colour back up. Any suggestions? The clam originally had the brown patches when I bought it about a month ago. If the colour does come back, how long will it take? It is happy where it is located now, it fully opens. I also give a squirt of Brightwell's Phytogold-M once a day, plus I dose Brightwell's Liquid Reef for the trace elements. I have 5 clams in total, 2 Crocea's (the other one is purple with blue dots on the mantle), 2 Derasa's, and my latest addition of an Ultra Blue Maxima (bought 3, but only 1 has survived due to stress from transportation).

If you've only had 1 out of 5 clams survive, it could be something more than transportation related stress. Usually, clams transport quite well, as long as it's not a long, extended period.

You mention that you're dosing 2 different products, 1 for phyto and another for trace elements.

Are you actually testing for the trace elements that you're dosing for? If not, I wouldn't recommend dosing.
Dosing Phyto is not necessary, for clams, and will contribute to nitrate and phosphate issues, which could be the cause of the "browning."

Clams have Zooanthella algae, inside them. That algae "eats" nitrates and phosphates. If that algae becomes too abundant, the clam will take on more of the algae color, instead of it's own color. That algae is colored brown.

Also, it could be that your clam is actually receiving too much light, which can also cause the internal algae to become too abundant.

We need much more information about your tank, to properly help you diagnose your problem.

Hi Sid,

I think you misunderstood that only 1 out of 5 clams survived, I have 5 clams that are happy and healthy at the moment. I bought 3 Maxima's, and out of the 3, only 1 survived. I found out from the store that I bought them that the clams travelled from their farm to LA, and then LA to their store, and then to the SeaMax Convention, and then back to their store, and then 6-7 hours for me to get them home. All this happened within a 2 week span. The store from which I bought them from were very honest with me about this and even offered me a store credit for the 2 lost clams. I would strongly recommend Barrier Reef Aquariums in Renton, WA. They were GREAT to deal with!

I dose Phyto to feed the new Maxima (1.5"), and as well the rest of my corals.

The Liquid Reef that I dose for Calc, Mag, Strontium keeps the essential elements in check.

Salinity I keep at 1.025
Calcium hovers between 430-450
Mag I don't have a test kit for.
Alk hovers between 8-10

The Crocea in question, I bought already had the brown patches. I was just wondering if it was getting too much light or not enough light. This clam was not bought from Barrier Reef. It is still happy and healthy, I just wanted it to colour back up.

If you've only had 1 out of 5 clams survive, it could be something more than transportation related stress. Usually, clams transport quite well, as long as it's not a long, extended period.

You mention that you're dosing 2 different products, 1 for phyto and another for trace elements.

Are you actually testing for the trace elements that you're dosing for? If not, I wouldn't recommend dosing.
Dosing Phyto is not necessary, for clams, and will contribute to nitrate and phosphate issues, which could be the cause of the "browning."

Clams have Zooanthella algae, inside them. That algae "eats" nitrates and phosphates. If that algae becomes too abundant, the clam will take on more of the algae color, instead of it's own color. That algae is colored brown.

Also, it could be that your clam is actually receiving too much light, which can also cause the internal algae to become too abundant.

We need much more information about your tank, to properly help you diagnose your problem.

Ahhh Yes, I did misunderstand. Thanks for clarifying and my apologies!

To be honest, I'd stop dosing the phyto. With enough light, even small clams don't need it and what they need, they'll get from your water, without dosing. I'd also be testing for nitrates and possibly phosphates.

As for lighting, Yes, that could definitely be an issue, either with too much, causing an over abundance of Zooanthella, or even too little light, forcing the Zooanthella to over produce, to make up to the lack of light.

Yay! I can post pics now!

fphoto202.jpg

http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee368/NanoReefie/?action=view&current=aphoto202.jpg
Can you post a pic?

Last edited:
I forgot to post that Nitrates & Phosphates are both at 0.
I run RowaPhos & Chemi-Pure Elite in an inTank Media Basket. I previously had a brown algae breakout with D-D H2Ocean salt, so I've switched back to my original Instant Ocean salt. I had to dose the Liquid Reef due to the lower essential elements that the IO salt had.

Will the colour come back eventually?

Ahhh Yes, I did misunderstand. Thanks for clarifying and my apologies!

To be honest, I'd stop dosing the phyto. With enough light, even small clams don't need it and what they need, they'll get from your water, without dosing. I'd also be testing for nitrates and possibly phosphates.

As for lighting, Yes, that could definitely be an issue, either with too much, causing an over abundance of Zooanthella, or even too little light, forcing the Zooanthella to over produce, to make up to the lack of light.

Hi Sid,

Any idea of a timeline? Are we talking weeks or months?

I'm anal about water changes, I do 25% water changes twice a week. I constantly have SW mixing in the tub of my guest washroom. My Father-in-Law even asked the other day if I had a secret fish tank that I was hiding from my wife in there. Hahaha! I said no to him, but before I could even contemplate that being a possiblity, the wife shot me the dirtiest look! I guess the wife isn't reef-safe. Haha!

Provided the clam is getting proper lighting, and quality water, yes, the color should return.

How far away from the light is the clam? Crocea's like to be up on the rocks and it looks to me that it may not be getting enough light.

It can take months for clams to repopulate the zooxanthalle to bleached out areas.

The current location of the clam is about 12" from the light, I had to move it from the rocks due to the hermit crabs irritating it.

How far away from the light is the clam? Crocea's like to be up on the rocks and it looks to me that it may not be getting enough light.

It can take months for clams to repopulate the zooxanthalle to bleached out areas.

Back