Crocea lost its foot

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

akaza

akhil
My crocea clam recently lost his foot, not sure why at all. But now he has retracted into his shell and does not come out as much, will he survive?

Can you post some pic's
What fish and inverts do you have?
What are you params especially Ca, Mag, and Alk?
What lighting do you have?

Usually when a clam releases it's foot it is because it doesn't like it's current location or if something is bothering it. Since it is retracted I think something may be bothering it. But with the above quesions unanswered it is too hard to say at this point.

Also, how long have you had this clam? What kind of flow was it getting? Where was it located in the tank? What was surrounding it? Have you made any changes or additions to the tank in the past 2 or 3 weeks? Look at the place it was attached...are there pieces of Bysal thread still there?

I have had him for over 6 months now, nothing new added in the last few months aside from some algae in the refugium. My dersera is fine, its the crocea that lost its foot. It was located near the bottom since I have a 400w metal halide on a 55 gallon. It was on some stand since it fell off the rock a couple of months ago, I have been trying to have it attach but it refused to, it seemed quite happy without though opening completely.

Can you post a pic?
What are your params?

If it isn't attachint and moving it's self then it isn't happy with it's location. If you keep putting it back and it keeps moving this is stressing the clam out. I suggest letting it sit for a few days without bothering it. When my clams pitch themselves off the rocks I let them sit for a few days and think about what they have done. LOL Then I move them to another place on the rocks and see what happens.

I am sorry to hear about that, but in order to find the problem so it doesn't happen again we need to know these items.

What are your params?

Back