crushed coral, what to do with it?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

peddy10181

so i got a bunch of crushed coral that came with my 470gallon tank. i am going to be useing black sand in the tank. but could i use 50 pounds of it in my sump kind of like a DSB but with crushed coral? or should i just try and sell the crushed coral and go with a good old normal DSB?

i have a 50gallon trash can half full of crush coral lol.

I would get rid of the crushed coral and use white sand. Ive heard of added silicates in black sand.

It doesn’t go bad and will work just fine for a deep sand bed, just adjust the depth depending on the coarseness of the crushed coral. A deep sand bed doesn’t have to be sand. I wouldn’t worry about the silicates in the black sand. The silicates are really insignificant and some animals in the tank need some silicates. Some one had a great right up about it in the last few months if I find the like I’ll post it for you. Then again if you just want something else just give it to someone else and get what you want.

I have I'll rdy payed for 300 pounds of black sand. Don't have the brand ATM but I'll post it tonight

Back