cube tank, overflow and closed loop help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jessbo

I am going to order a cube tank, either 24x24", or 30x30". anyway, I was thinking about a coast to coast overflow, but I don't really want the overflow in the tank taking up extra space. and the closed loop, not sure what a good design would be, ie:inlet, outputs, etc. any ideas?

I had a 38 gal cube with an external coast to coast overflow. Worked out well. Also did a closed loop initially but wanted more flow so I chopped it up a bit and doubled it doing 2 closed loops and was happy. I had one suction for each closed loop and 2 outputs for each (1 on top and 1 on the bottom). Here area few pics. HTH's :)

that is exactly what I needed to see. But who made your tank, I am assuming it was customer built, because I have never seen an overflow on the outside on the tank prebuilt.

Yea, I had it custom built to how I wanted it right here in the Bahamas. There are many tank builders here on RF (sponsors) that can whip up a tank like this for you in no time. :)

Ok new question. I am planning on a closed loop system, the inlets being on the middle of the back wall, and four outputs, 2 on each side, one toward the middle of the tank, one toward the bottom. So where would you suggest I plumb the return line in at? I would prefer not to have any plumbing go over the top of the tank, I would like everything plumbed through the back wall. But I don't know where to put the output for the return pipe from the sump, as I am also concerned with what could happen in the event of a power outage and the water draining back into the sump. So I am sure the line should come in toward the top of the tank to avoid the whole tank draining itself. Any ideas?

Back