cubes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Oatmeal

I'm breaking down my last tank and just going to go nano reef for a bit.

I was looking at the Biocubes and nanocubes. Any thoughts on which is better? Also there's the 14 and 29. How many fish could I put into both without pushing the limits.

I've run all types of nano's and the Biocubes are the ones I liked the least. This might have changed by now, but then the Biocubes were not UL listed which I didn't care for.

I've run all types of nano's and the Biocubes are the ones I liked the least. This might have changed by now, but then the Biocubes were not UL listed which I didn't care for.

I have the biocube 29g. I find it Ok...but getting a skimmer for it you are limited. I believe CPR makes one that fits perfectly into the second chamber that the bio balls were to go into...

If you do go biocube or Nano I would search for the best skimmer that can fit...or be doing weekly water changes...

the good: the system is good. I have purple algae all over the back wall...I modified my hood to fit the fluval 205 into it...

The filters that you use for biocube get dirty fast and then a flow problem happens also...then you get the old bubble effect from the intake...

I advise removing it and get a filter pad and cut it to fit over the top of the screen tray ontop of the second stage ...

good luck..

I'm breaking down my last tank and just going to go nano reef for a bit.

I was looking at the Biocubes and nanocubes. Any thoughts on which is better? Also there's the 14 and 29. How many fish could I put into both without pushing the limits.

I have a 29 gal biocube which I bought as my very first tank a year and 4 months ago. I bought a little protein skimmer that fits in the 1st bay in the back and then removed the bio balls and actually put rubble live rock back there. My biggest beef is that my lighting...the ballast has gone out twice on the hood and since then I have replaced it with a 24 inch T6 lighting. The improved lighting is great but my evap is about a gal every other day. All in all though its pretty decent. Here is a pic of it that is about a week old.

29_gal_nano.JPG

UL?

I am worried about the evaporation. I was hoping having the lid would stop this. I have a 20 gal acrilic with sump, both are open and loose a gal a day. I can't keep up with it.

I want low maintenance.

I keep stepping down. I had a 55 acrilic down to a 29 glass (with overflow and sump) to the 20 now looking at the 14 nano.

Smaller tank doesnt automatically mean less maintenance. Actually its quite the other way around. You have to be more careful about everything you put into a nano because it's a lot more "sensitive" than bigger tanks.
The nanos(aquapod, biocube, etc) nearly always have to be modded and a skimmer has to be added, etc. which makes it more expensive than its worth in the end.

Just my 2 cents :D
Have fun choosing

PS: The solana cubes look nice! I'd look into one of those

Yeah I hear you. Wish I could do something with my 20gal. But its impossible to fit a skimmer on it. And I don't know how to make a hood to slow the evaporation.

Could put a fluval on it and hacksaw my pc down to 24". Then somehow make a sealed hood.

How many gallons does a fluval add. Or is it just something to store cleaning media.

Last q. How does the biocube skimmer hold up, or should I go for the cpr. If one makes my life easier I'm all for it.

Last edited:
UL?

I am worried about the evaporation. I was hoping having the lid would stop this. I have a 20 gal acrilic with sump, both are open and loose a gal a day. I can't keep up with it.

I want low maintenance.

I keep stepping down. I had a 55 acrilic down to a 29 glass (with overflow and sump) to the 20 now looking at the 14 nano.

Having a lid will help with evap. I sacrificed the lid for better lighting so its a give a little take a little. Also, as mentioned in the reply prior to mine...smaller environment means any changes will impact a little more. I've yet to experience one of these but I'm also careful what I put in and how much I do put in. I also do the tests a little more then I do in the 80 gal I have as well. I don't do water changes as much but that is probably due to a gal of water everyother day going into the tank. Also the protein skimmer helps a lot.

I have the opposite problem... my 55 gal has some very good equipment on it...vs bio cube...but the bio cube looks so much better =\... I must be the goofy oddball here with problems with big tank and none with small ones.

My wall looks like his above..all that algae is a good sign... as for evaporation... I really think a closed environment will cause more problems due to the gas exchange needed at the surface of the water...

As for the Fluval: I added it because I wanted a better mechanical filter and added bio filter...it also acts as a power head for mine. The filter thats made for bio cube just gets clogged too fast by debris (from my clown who likes to kick up sand)...which slows the flow and then the pump sucks air...which creates a headache for me. The fluval has another advantage as I can stock the trays with things I need... Live rock, Carbon, Phosban...

Protein skimmers:
I did research on skimmers myself...and you wont need any modifications... CPR makes one to fit specifically for bio cubes 29 gal chamber 2. The one from Oceanic systems for the cube uses a wood air block....and it is the biggest waste of 60bucks I had ever spent.

Last edited:
So I got a 14 gal biocube. Just realized that truely it's 11gal. I wonder how many fish I can have in this, i don't want to have problems.

I have a percula clown that I have to move into this tank, and I may want one or more, plus corals.

Can I cram a few more fish in the 14?

Should I go for the 29? and cut my losses?

Back