Cucumber Worm

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sausage fingers

Hi,

Having recently started a reef tank Ive purchased two sea cucumbers a Candy and a worm. Whilst reading a book it mentioned that you should avoid the worm variant but gave no explanation why any of you folk out there had any problems with these, there facinating to watch.

Thanks in advance

I couldn't say, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help. I just wanted to really welcome you to the forum. I hope you enjoy it here:)

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Is the cucumber worm you are referring to, also called a Medusa worm? The Synaptid sea cucumbers can be difficult to keep because some have specialized feeding needs. The Medusa Worms by Rob Toonen

I wasn't familiar at all with the Candy Cucumber, so after some searching, I I think I found it.... Thelenota rubralineata?

I'm going to move this thread to Anthony's forum. He has a nice chapter on Cucumbers in his book Reef Invertebrates, so hopefully he can elaborate a bit for you.

Oops - forgot to ask.... how long has your tank been up and running? Do you have a substrate? How deep is it?

I'm guessing/hoping this is as simple (and safe) as a candy coral and a feather duster worm.

Cheers , sausage :) Welcome to RF. Please post pics if you can, or look up in our index "Caulastrea" hard coral (see the coral gallery) and do some other keyword searches for father duster or fanworm to see if thats your worm.

Hi All,

Thankyou very much for the advise and pointers Ive tracked the exact cucumber I have its its a Synapta Maculata and after reading the thread (thanks Nikki) Im now so much wiser I think.
My critter seems very active and by the amount of detrius its producing I would say feeding well also.
The tanks been running for around three months now and the substrate I used was crushed shell and coral a TMC product and is around 3 inches thick across entire base of tank.
I have around 15-17 kilos of live rock placed in centre of tank to be different 4 x green chromis, 2 x common clowns, 15 x turbo snails, 5 x hermit crabs different variants, 2 x sea cucumbers, 1 x bubble anenome, 2 x peppermint shrimps( I love these timid creatures)1 x small clump of pulsing xenia, 2 x mushrooms and a clump of green luminous polps on a nice peice of rock sorry dont know the names but hey I was no good at French at school either.
Will post pics this weekend because ive got a lot of learning to do and no doubt the setup may raise a few comments also.
The water parameters are excellent and always have been and I only use Kent Marine liquid calcium to maintain levels in tank.

Thanks in advance

I have around 15-17 kilos of live rock placed in centre of tank to be different

:lol: thats 33-38lbs for all of us on the west side of the pond. :lol:

Welcome sausage fingers :)

Hi Again,

Ive checked out Thelenota rubralineata and its not that one I guess a pic will resolve this?

Thanks for taking the time

Sausage fingers - post a pic if you get a chance. I'd like to see it!

:lol: thats 33-38lbs for all of us on the west side of the pond. :lol:

Welcome sausage fingers :)

Hi,

Can you imagine how confusing weights and measures are for those who have had to go through the transition thank god for the old shop keepers who get confused also they show LBS and Kilos. LOL

My dad has a story about when he was a young engineer (before the machine operators were giving him any respect). He was on a job and a particular operator was giving him a hard time so my dad went and converted all of the machine's feed rates (how fast a machine will cut the work piece) from inches/min into fathoms/fortnight. :lol: I was telling him about onlineconversion.com and said, "well I bet they don't have fathoms/fortnight!".

:lol: they do! :lol:

Hi,

You guys have it easy us in the UK have to deal with both for instance we still have miles instead of kilometers you can still buy milk and beer by the pint the list goes on unlike myself who will stop.

Brussells aint got the good old english pound ££ though!

Back