Cushion under Tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

vacrin

Do most of you guys put some type of material between your tank and the stand to help absorb any imperfections in the levelness of the stand? I've got a sheet of the pink insulating foam (3/4" thick) that I planned on using but was just curious of what others do. It's a 180 gallon tank with 3/4" glass all around.

Thanks

i would use those sheets of hard insulate. it comes in 2x4, 2x8, 4x8 and several different thicknesses. those are what i have used in the past. cant remember what the name is but they are white with a foil back. find at any lowes. homedepot etc.

Do most of you guys put some type of material between your tank and the stand to help absorb any imperfections in the levelness of the stand? I've got a sheet of the pink insulating foam (3/4" thick) that I planned on using but was just curious of what others do. It's a 180 gallon tank with 3/4" glass all around.

Thanks

Is this only for really big tanks? I have a 90 gallon acrylic tank and I have never used anything and it's been up for over a year. I have it torn down right now should I put something between it now or don't worry about it?

Brian

Cushion Under Tank

I've always put something under my tanks, no matter how big. No stand is perfectly flat and it's better to be safe than develop a stress crack. I've used heavy cardboard up to 1/2" foam board. I was a little concerned the 3/4" foam I asked about was too thick but the weight of the tank will compress the foam once I put water in it.

Back