Custom aquarium help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jessbo

I am wanting to have a custom acrylic tank built for me. I want it to be 36l x36w x 24h. I got a quote for $1200 dollars. That includes one center overflow mounted on the outside, and the top being left open, no center brace. This quote seems a bit high to me, since I bought a 48l x 24w x 24h acrylic tank for $600.

But I am thinking about wether I should put two overflows, one in each back corner, or just one in the center. Any suggestions on which location would be better?

Is this "Euro brace" design, leaving the center support out worth the extra money? I am planning on using either 3 - 250w MHs or 2 250w MH & 1 - 400w MH. Again, any suggestions?

Anyone prefer the overflows mounted outside the aquarium? Not sure if it would be that big of a deal, guy on the phone suggested it. Oh yeah, this is planning on being a reef tank, but I am wanting to stray away from piling rocks against the back wall. I want more of a central mound appearance, so you can view the rock from all angles, more of an open water feel.

One of the main reasons why people like their overflows on the outside is because it gives them more space in the tank for fish, rocks etc. Also, you don't have to drill through your stand for the plumbing to go down to the sump with the overflow on the outside. Where 1 or 2 overflows is concerned, it really all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I think the more surface skimming you can get, the better, but also, sometimes you need two seperate drain lines in order for your tank to be able to drain water at a certain rate so some do 2 seperate overflows to achieve this rather than jamming 2 drains in one single overflow. As for the eurobracing, IMO it all depends on the size of the tank if it is totally necessary as it will help prevent the tank from bowing out, but not a bad idea on any size tank just to be safe.

Here's how I had an old cube of mine built with an external overflow. I wanted max surface skimming so I had the teeth for the overflow basically stretch the whole way across the tank, but only used one single drain. You may have to maximize the pics to see them clearly. HTH:)

Your 24x48 tank could have two sides and the front made from the same piece of acrylic. Only needed vertical seams in the back two corners, and you didn't produce too much waste acrylic.

The 36x36 tank will require more seams, and will result in more waste acrylic.

Doesn't totally explain the big difference in cost, but that is at least part.

When the guy at the LFS suggested the no brace design he said it would be a little more expensive due to the need to reinforce everything that the brace would have taken care of.

Since I am planning on putting a 400w over the center of the tank, that is why I considered the bracless top. But $1200, makes me not want to spend such a great deal of money on a 140 gal tank. Would expect that price from a tank well over 200 gal, not this one.

I am assuming my LFS is adding a charge of their own to make a profit, so does anyone have any suggestions to where I can directly have the tank built for me, rather than going through a middle man so to say?

I am also wondering what would be some CL designs for this cube. Would love if MOJO could hop in on this and give his wisdom.

Back