Custom fish tank frame??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ac7av

Bring on the FISH!
Is there a supplier for the black frame material or any frame material for that matter used on many glass fish tanks that can be ordered in custom sizes? I want to build a sump to fit into my stand the dimensions would be 68 X 15 X 15. From what I have found it looks like you can only buy them in the usual sizes for tanks. I would be even happy with one for a 60 in tank but can not find one on the sites that sell the frames.

you should not need a trim if you have glass baffels. the baffels will hold the tank togetter
[sorry for spelling}

The trim does not do a lot to hold the tank together (other than braces) it is more to protect the edges. Since you are making your own sump, just get some acrylic angle and glue it together to make trim to protect the glass on the bottom.

Kim

Okay, I guess I thought the frame was holding it together not just protecting the edges of the glass. So it sounds like the baffles will ad to the support of the sides like the braces that would go across the middle of the tank top and bottom. What would stop if from splitting in the corners of the tank top without the frame around it? I have seen some of the new rimless tanks but it looks like there using a different kind of sealer that is black and the ones I have seen seem to be a bit thicker then similar size standard tank. Does anyone know what they are using for sealing them?

i have a 55 for a sump on my fresh water tank with no top bracing just the baffles and it holds fine. the top brace is the the tank does not bow.

here is a pic of my sump on my 210 fresh water not the best pic but you can see no frame on top and it doesn't bow at all

Last edited:
Are you building this sump yourself?
Are you using glass or acrylic?
How thick of material do you plan to use?
As for bonding. RVT 100 series silicone if glass. Weldon #3 or #4 if acrylic.
Most rimmed tanks are done that way cause the glass they use to build the tank is to thin. The trim reduces bowing, and excessive stress on the corner seams.
A properly constructed sump of that size can be done without a euro-brace, top or bottom.

Back