Cut out center brace?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefjock

Hi all,

I have a glass 90 gal reef, 4ft long. The center brace creates a shadow down the middle of the tank. I have a MH pendant centered on the tank. The shadow is driving me crazy!..Do you think it would be o.k. to cut out the brace?

Thanks.......Fred

I've seen someone cut out the black plastic brace and replace it with a clear acrylic piece. Just make sure it's as thick or thicker than the original brace.

Put another mh on it. I agree, if you have to ask then most likely trying to do this is unsafe. It can be done but you need to be experienced enough to understand what is necessary to replace it with some other option.

Just some friendly advise.

Thanks for the advice. How hard can it be to cut it out and replace with a piece of acrylic? Pretty much everything I do is DIY. Cars, houses and now reef tank...What if I were to cut a series of holes down the center of the brace. That would keep it intact but also alow the light thru? Just a thought.....

Depends how big the holes are. I doubt you could drill large enough holes(that would be effective at letting light through) while maintaining the integrity of the brace.

1. Empty the tank out
2. Cut out brace leaving 1" on both sides
3. Purchase a piece of acrylic from HD that is at least 1/4" thick, plastic glue, 6 plastic screws with washers and nuts.
4. cut piece of acrylic long enough to go from rim to rim covering the 1" over hangs left from previous brace.
5. Drill 3 holes on each side if they can fit. If not then just 2.
6. Glue in acrylic piece and use the plastic screws to lock it down.
7. let sit for a couple hours to dry.
Just my 2 cents but this is how I would do it.

I have seen it done before and it failed big time. The heat from the MH will weaken it and it will break. Trust me on that on that is a sound that will wake you from a dead sleep. Your best bet if your a DIY is make two MH light set for it.

I also feel it’s a bit risky. My thoughts on a mod would be to glue on a piece of acrylic before cutting off the existing one if you want to do it with the tank full of water, that way the tank will still be supported correctly.

single metal halide + right over plastic middle brace = melt down of brace unless spaced far away 6-8" +.

ummm, don't ask me how I know this.

Looking for another MH Pendant. I've got too much time and money invested to take that risk. Thanks for all the input guys!

ever thought of going down and picking up a 1/4" 1" - 11/4" strip of aluminum and bending a clip to go over the to of the tank?

some small dabs of silicone will hold it in place no need for anything else it is all out pressure

just wanna do it when the tank was empty of course.

1. Empty the tank out
2. Cut out brace leaving 1" on both sides
3. Purchase a piece of acrylic from HD that is at least 1/4" thick, plastic glue, 6 plastic screws with washers and nuts.
4. cut piece of acrylic long enough to go from rim to rim covering the 1" over hangs left from previous brace.
5. Drill 3 holes on each side if they can fit. If not then just 2.
6. Glue in acrylic piece and use the plastic screws to lock it down.
7. let sit for a couple hours to dry.
Just my 2 cents but this is how I would do it.

+1

here you go folks he just told you how to do it....
and probably stronger than the original brace!
done this many times.

Hi all,

I have a glass 90 gal reef, 4ft long. The center brace creates a shadow down the middle of the tank. I have a MH pendant centered on the tank. The shadow is driving me crazy!..Do you think it would be o.k. to cut out the brace?

Thanks.......Fred

The shadow isn't from a incorrectly placed brace, it is from having incorrect lighting. Get a second halide light or go with florescent.

The shadow isn't from a incorrectly placed brace, it is from having incorrect lighting. Get a second halide light or go with florescent.

The MH is an upgrade from T5's. I still have 4 T5's. But I LOVE the shimmer lines you get with MH. Anybody have a spare pendant and ballast for sale?

Back