Cutting into a tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pandora32

Im kinda copying another members build. I like his overflow. Soooo. I went and bought a diamond cutting wheel for my dremel. And this is where my question comes in. Ive never cut a piece of glass out of an intact tank let alone cut a piece of glass with a power tool. Is it like drilling hole (which ive never done). Pointers?

Right on. Thanks guys. Ill give it a try tomorrow after my daughters horse lessons.
Does anybody know where i can get some black acrylic? Dont need alot, just some srap pieces. Wanting to build a coast to coast overflow for this 15g. Does lowes or home depot sell it? Also, any pointers on building one. Im not much of a DIYer. I saw yours dave when you did that build and liked that idea.

Last edited:
Right on. Thanks guys. Ill give it a try tomorrow after my daughters horse lessons.
Does anybody know where i can get some black acrylic? Dont need alot, just some srap pieces. Wanting to build a coast to coast overflow for this 15g. Does lowes or home depot sell it? Also, any pointers on building one. Im not much of a DIYer. I saw yours dave when you did that build and liked that idea.

OBD will most likely have enough scrap pieces to do your CTC. Shoot Eric a PM and let him know how much you need. He could probably send it to you in the mail. You can get Weldon 16 at Mclendons to weld it together.

Come to think about it I may have enough for ya. Send me some numbers

Tight measurements for the pieces-
2 pieces at 23 3/4" x 2"
1 piece at 3"x3" square
3 pieces at 3" x 6"
Im planning on building a overflow box attached to the back of the tank.
The tank i saw was a thread called 15g of awesome.
I liked his idea and it made me wanna try it, but doing it with acrylic and a coast to coast overflow. Planning on some real good flow in this one. Will silicone attatch acrylic to glass and not leak or is there something else i should use?
The overflow will come from the back 2" and be 2" deep. Go from left to right where im going to cut the rear pane down and have a 3" x 3" x 6" 3 sided box attached to the outside of the tank and have it drain down to a sump from there. Was thinking a 1" drain and a 1/2" or 3/4" return. Any thoughts or advice?

Tight measurements for the pieces-
2 pieces at 23 3/4" x 2"
1 piece at 3"x3" square
3 pieces at 3" x 6"
Im planning on building a overflow box attached to the back of the tank.
The tank i saw was a thread called 15g of awesome.
I liked his idea and it made me wanna try it, but doing it with acrylic and a coast to coast overflow. Planning on some real good flow in this one. Will silicone attatch acrylic to glass and not leak or is there something else i should use?
The overflow will come from the back 2" and be 2" deep. Go from left to right where im going to cut the rear pane down and have a 3" x 3" x 6" 3 sided box attached to the outside of the tank and have it drain down to a sump from there. Was thinking a 1" drain and a 1/2" or 3/4" return. Any thoughts or advice?

I will check my stock in the morning. Not sure about the 6'' piece. I also have a concern with having the external box being acrylic. You will get a much better bond using glass to glass. instead of acrylic to glass.. Acrylic will not bond very well to silicone.

Thanks for checking and the advice. So will the bond between acrylic and glass be suffesiant enough on the inside of the tank? Maybe i should just go glass all the way?

Yes, the bond on the inside of a tank is alright, if it fails inside the tank no harm no foul. If it is required to be a water tight structural joint on the out side of the tank, use glass to glass. or acrylic to acrylic.

Ok. Then scatch looking for the 3 pieces of 3" x 3" x 6" and the 1 piece of 3" x 3". Those were for the box. Ill find some scrap. My neighbors have just replaced there single pane windows. Maybe i can get a piece from them.
So new list is as follows-
2 pieces at 23 3/4" x 2"
Thanks again dave.

Last edited:
And if Dave doesn't have it we definitely do!!!

Eric
Oceans by Design
1055 Andover Park E
Tukwila, WA 98188
206-575-5006

I will send a pm once I get to the shop.

Eric
Oceans by Design
1055 Andover Park E
Tukwila, WA 98188
206-575-5006

Thanks dave, eric. I went to mclendons hardware this morning. All they have is silicone, no weldon. I didnt find any at lowes or home depot eitjer. Kinda thinking there isnt any around me. Is there some place in tacoma that someone knows about?

McLendons has it. They used to have it in the piant/glue area but recently I have found it back in the lumber department by the acrylic rods and such. They do have it though.

Thanks dave, eric. I went to mclendons hardware this morning. All they have is silicone, no weldon. I didnt find any at lowes or home depot eitjer. Kinda thinking there isnt any around me. Is there some place in tacoma that someone knows about?

I found it exactly where Eric said. Back in the lumber department by the acrylic rod.

In Tacoma

Kel-Tech Plastics
3510 S Pine Street
Tacoma, WA 98409

253.472.9654 Phone

Geez copycat lol. Yeah keep the wheel wet and wear glasses and a gas mask as fine glass dust will be flying. Go very slow never rush as that could cause the cutting wheel to skip ahead and perhaps fracture the glass. Also wear gloves since you will have glass dust all over your hands when you finish.

Back