Cyano removal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

xxkenny90xx

Hey guys I just picked up a few rocks that are covered in cyano. They are in a quarantine tank for now, my question is can I just turn off the lights for a while and use some kind of antibiotics to kill the cyano or should I just kill the rocks (which I'd obviously rather not do) via acid, bleach, vinegar, ect? Thanks

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2

The cyano should come off easily with heavy flow or a turkey baster then just siphon it out. No need for drastic measures :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

That's a great answer, thanks. I'm not sure what various microalgaes may be on the rocks, would you recommend taking the corals and anemones off of the rocks and putting them in my display so I can leave the rocks without light for a while?

cyno will come off fairly easy, but if you have stuff like bryosis, you may have issues with it that would make them unsuitable for use as they are in your display tank.

kenny,

post a pic...you will get a more tailored answer instead of just conjectures which I agree with.

I can't post a good pic because I've only got actinic lights on it right now. Here's one with the help of a flashlight. It's mostly red with some green
2aze4u5e.jpg

from this pic, i do not see anything that resembles bryopsis...(that is good), but you definitely have cyano and hair algae..

if you want to go radical, you can use a power washer and blast it off, but generally this means high nutrients from some where...i would at least scrub the rock using a scrubber which you can buy at the dollar store.

from this pic, i do not see anything that resembles bryopsis...(that is good), but you definitely have cyano and hair algae..

if you want to go radical, you can use a power washer and blast it off, but generally this means high nutrients from some where...i would at least scrub the rock using a scrubber which you can buy at the dollar store.

Sounds good, these rocks have not been in my tank yet so I'm not worried about high nutrients right now, just wanna make sure I get them thoroughly cleaned before I do put them in my display. I'm hoping management is right and I can just scrub them and not kill the good bacteria

should be ok, just use RO water to rinse after scrubbing and should be OK..

Nana not management, gotta love auto spell check

Personally I would not want to use that rock in my display tank unless I got pretty radical with the treatment.
I also have to say that it is something I would have to see in person. Pictures can be deceiving.

Last night I did the dirty job of thoroughly scrubbing each rock in a bucket of tank water. It took about 2 hours for 2 big rocks and 2 small ones. Next I'm thinking I'll leave them in their heated and filtered container without light for a week? Two weeks? And do frequent large water changes. Anything else I should do (antibiotics?) before I add them to my tank? I'm still slightly nervous about adding rocks that were so nasty to my tank without killing everything on them

Personally I would not want to use that rock in my display tank unless I got pretty radical with the treatment.
I also have to say that it is something I would have to see in person. Pictures can be deceiving.

I didn't expect an accurate ID from that bad picture but I spent a lot of time working on the rocks (although there's still algae in some cracks and crevasses) and didn't see anything else that alarmed me. I don't suppose there's a such thing as a radical treatment that won't kill the good bacteria is there?

kenny,

check out chemiclean...it will kill the bacteria, BUT comes with a caveat. I do not like recommending it, as most people use it as a panacea and they shouldn't. Find the root cause and solve it. in your case it sounds like the rock where it came from was in a high nutrient information..personally, i would use this rock in a QT tank and not put in a main tank..if you want to put in the main tank, i would cook it, bleach it, whatever, and start from scratch...it is just not worth the headache to put in your main tank.

my .02

I didn't expect an accurate ID from that bad picture but I spent a lot of time working on the rocks (although there's still algae in some cracks and crevasses) and didn't see anything else that alarmed me. I don't suppose there's a such thing as a radical treatment that won't kill the good bacteria is there?

I was just saying that I would hate to make a recommendation, if I made the wrong id.

What Kirk just said is spot on IMO.

Try searching for lanthanum chloride, it's a phosphate remover (bonds to it, doesn't actually remove) that a lot of people use to cure LR. Some people us it in their display tank on a drip but I personally would not do that. If there is no livestock in the tank with the rock it can speed up the process of cooking the rock.

Thanks for the input guys, I doubt I'll ever use chemiclean in my tank (I like to control algae through a more natural approach), but I'll give it a shot with these rocks.

Back