cyano

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sryder

ok, I had a rock with some cyano growing and during cleaning last week I blew it off with my power head. now I am getting cyano or slime all over the place. I have no detectable phosphates or nitrates. most of the detritus gets sucked out every other week with a small water change of 10%. i am using ro/di water. filters are only 3 months old as are my lights. I was told that there is additives to remove it but I realy do not want to add anything to the tank if i dont have to. i would think that killing cyano you would also kill beneficial bacteria. If I understand correctly they have to have some sort of food or nutrient source. the other one, other than phosphates and nitrates I believe was nitrogen. if thats the case how do I get rid of it? and the algae?

Hi Sryder i take it that as your filters and lights are 3 months old - your tank is of similar age?
if so Cyno is a very common occurance and as you state requires nutrients in the form of phospate, nitrate, nitrogen

It does well in areas of very low water movement
I have expereinced it in all my set up but it is a short term problem in most cases - and very rarely occurs in established tanks unless water conditions are not maintained or flow drops of due to aged power heads / pumps etc

Instead of using power head to blow it off rocks use syphon tube at weekly water change time to remove any you can syphon off (It comes away in sheet form so is dead easy to shift)

I am sure if you do this for next few weeks the problem will clear up without need for any chemical removal agents

Steve

Hey sryder, i used to have that problem too, but what helped me was my skimmer.
I used to run my skimmer everyday and every water change i would try shyphon it or grabing it with my hand when it was on the sand, after a few weeks it went away.

wrighty, i did siphon it off today to the best i could. im planning a closed loop within the next couple of months and will be adding an ampmaster 5600 and sea swirls which should clear up any low flow areas. the stuffs just realy ugly and cant wait to get rid of it. jiddy, i am currently running 2 150 watt 10 k's metal halides and 2 96 watt pc actinics. down the road that lighting is going on a 75 and i will be upgrading on the 140 gallon.spongebob, my skimmer runs everyday and usually pull off about a 1/4 cup of junk per day. sometimes more some times less. seems pretty efficient for the load. i think this may be more of a flow issue. I currently have a little giant 875 for returns and 2 maxi 1200's for flow in a 140. at this point the return pump is also feeding my skimmer taking away valuable flow. i wouldnt be surprised if i was only getting half of the pump rating with head, elbows and skimmer. I hope to have the closed loop done in a couple of months, funds permitting of course....lol steve

If your tank is only a few months old then the cyano is normal and if you suck it off regularly it will subside.

Back