Cycling with uncured live rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Quincy

I placed 158lbs of relatively clean uncured Fijio rock in my 100 gallon reef tank 15 days ago. Amonia and Nitrite is zero and Nitrate is 180ppm. The PH is 7.8
I am not running any lights and have done no water changes.

Is this process going the way it should be going? Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks

Time to start doing water changes then. Looks like its going well. Youll want to do a few large water changes, then recheck the water after a week and see where the phopsphates(which I notice you are not testing for yet) and nitrates read. Youll want them both to be 0. Its just basically a waiting game coupled with lots of water changes.

PEace and GL

I had some LR that was almost dead, I let it go a while like two months before I considered adding anything to it, even though I could of gone less time. Now over a year later, it is just starting to show up real life. BTW, I ran lights etc like normal, I did wait a while before changing out water, Nitrite 180, I'd probably let it go a little longer before changing water but a small change may help, it will bounce up & down while changing water though, so expect it.

The LFS says to not start water changes until the tank is further along the cycling process. Phosphates are 0.

Thoughts?

It won't hurt to wait it out a couple more weeks, then start doing your changes, I didn't change water at all for two/three months but I wasn't in a hurry to cycle the tank either.

Back