cycling

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mmkeeper

When cycling a new tank with Live Rock and a deep sand bed, when would you add a few damsels to help with the cycle. It is not my tank, he as some ammonia,nitrite and nitrate showing during tests. It is about 2 weeks into the cycle.

I added green chromis at 3 weeks, I wouldn't add Damsels to any tank at any time because they are mean and almost impossible to catch when you want to pull them out

I would never add damsels I hate them with a passion! Your LR will cycle but it will take about 4 or 5 more weeks, not good to rush these things in a reef tank. I would not add anything until then.

Not looking to rush, just trying to figure out timing. Just looking to use a cheap hardy fish to help the cycle(damsel,chormis) not cocerned with which one. LFS will buy them back.

I added mine after 3 weeks to help cycle. That was when I had no reading of ammonia in my tank. HTH:)

KRMNAL1 said:
I added green chromis at 3 weeks, I wouldn't add Damsels to any tank at any time because they are mean and almost impossible to catch when you want to pull them out

Amen brother :D I'm having that dilema right now and my tank has been up for over a year

Adding a few little fish won't help your cycle much not to mention using a fish for this purpose is cruel, wait the wait and save the headache of catching the damsel!

Back