cycling

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aaronfeeney

In a new reef, with cured/seasoned LR from a long running reef, how many days with amonia 0, nitrate 0 and nitrite 0 do we say good enough?
If I see no spike how long before adding a fish or 2 and a cleaner crew?

If the live rock came from an established aquarium, and didn't suffer any die off, you probably won't experience a cycle, at all.

However, you could test this, by actually adding ammonia. Make sure it isn't the lemon scented though...lol. Add enough to register, on a test kit. Test it 12 and 24 hours later. If your bacterial colony is established, it should quickly deal with the ammonia.

nice test I may try that, if not ready the amonia will still be present in 12 hrs? then the added amonia should jump start the cycle huh?

...but you want to add livestock slowly..meaning wait 4-6 wks in between additions.

Yes I get that, but if my LR is not ready to filter then wouldn't the amonia kick start the cycling process? I don't mean to be thick headed but I want to be sure I understand the process.

Yes, if your live rock is not ready, it will kick start a cycle. Otherwise, if you see a quick drop in Ammonia, you'll know your live rock is able to handle Ammonia. After that, you'll still want to add life, slowly, as each addition adds to the bioload. After each addition, you need to give your bacterial colony time to populate to a higher density, in order to handle the higher bioload.

Back