Damm f#&*^#*&@ peice of *@*(*@# calcium reactor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

they say in three's

Wow Mike sorry to hear about that calcium reactor thats no good...I hope your corals can rebound. Les that's just as bad about your chiller I hope that Both your Tanks rebound quickly I am sorry about the Fish & coral losses...
I hope that 2006 treats both you alot better...Jeff

Damn Mike, that blows.....
I'll be happy to make a sacrifice in order to appease the reef gods....A goat maybe or even the next *%$& that makes me get out and chase them....

Nick

mike keep your head up and your guns holstered. you know the problems I went through and battled for a good 2 months. the tank is looking realy good right now and yours will also. Probobably a lot faster then mine did. Let us know what actually happened when you get it all sorted out. steve

Damm Les no that is a drag!!! I would look into a bunch of resin pads, they are good at soaking up a bunch of different materials.

I think in my tank what is affected right now will be the extent of the problems.

Mike

Mike,
What type of Pocci? I have a red P. vera etc. that is about the size of a softball and half. Its the least I could do for how you have helped me.
Let me know if you want it.
Ed

Last edited:
oh mike......
nice winter sh** storm you had your self there, what a bummer!!!
my next question, do you have a trash compactor for the deltec?
or mabye one of those hydraulic stump splitters would be nice,
dont forget to make a video and send it to deltec:cry:
something tells me you wont be replacing it with the same brand:shock:

:eek: Sheez, thats crap luck Mike. How the heck did it "explode" ? Pressure related? Those beautiful large colonies. :cry: Guess it goes to show how delicate our systems really are, no matter what we do.

Ed Hahn said:
Do you think a Ph controller would have prevented this?:cry:

No, that reactor is so big just dumping all the water out of it will drop the ph of the tank. The controller would only shut down the bottle. A smart controller works. This way if it saw a drop that couldnt be cured by shutting off the bottle, it could cause the kalk reactor to dump in enough to counter act the drop and stop before it hit the flood point.

Don

Mike!! We need to combine our luck streaks...maybe we can create some good luck :D

Any new losses?

Mike,
I was studying the drawing of the Deltec Calcium Reactor last night. Could you show pictures of where Reactor broke please?
Thanks in Advance,
Ed

Ed thanks for the kind offer my friend, but I will be ok. Its not the first time and wont be the last. The good thing about corals is that they grow, so we just start small with those peices again, no biggie.

On the reactor, to be honest I havent removed it yet, I havent had a day off yet and have to go out of town tonite. From looking at it it looks like the base may have come loose as it is sitting kind of out of level now. But in saying that their is salt creep everywhere on the fitting to, so not sure right now. I will deal with it when I come back.

Thanks for the kind thoghts folks

Mike

Mike If There Are Salt Creeps Everywhere Is It Possible The Salt Kept Building Up In It To Cause It To Explode.les Sorry About Your Sailfin Tang And The Rest Of The Little Swimmers And Mike Serve The Cr With Steamed Broccoli And Turkey On New Years Eve. Lol

Zack

Mike, I dont recall the specific design of yours but here is a point we have made changes on ourselves.

Most of our locally built reactors use to have the control valve for the effluent drip, on the reactors output, without limiting the input, which usually came from a powerhead.

Would would then assume this built up a fair bit of pressure in the reactor, which always seemed the best way to keep a constant drip rate.

The builder switched the little gate valve to the input side, between the input pump and the reactor body. No valve on the output hose. I dont use mine at the current time but when I did it seemed to work well and still had a good drip rate.

I have heard of reactors busting a seam before. I always assumed it was from the inside pressure but dont know enough about it or if this modification really helped.:confused:

Mike and Les I am saddened to hear about your troubles. I know that with the determination both of you had in putting your tanks together you will come out OK. I hope 06 brings you many happy corals and a lot of new growth!:)

Back