Damn - Salinity Difference?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

markang

I know I said no more questions today! :high5: Just took a measurement of Salinity in my tank and here's what I noticed:

From a sample from the left side near the top of the tank, water is way under 1.023 levels. from right side, near the bottom, it's right on..

Water flow pump is on.. how come there's such a huge difference? :(
Should I be concerned? how to correct?

Thanks!!

Make sure to knock the air bubbles off the arm.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I apologize for the avatar. We have some real jokesters on here.

No, it was a moderator error. Cough cough Mojo!

im pretty sure your supposed to center the fish before taking a picture looks like lion fins tho like steven said tap the bubbles off the needle how long ago did you mix your water??? top off with any di ???

im pretty sure your supposed to center the fish before taking a picture looks like lion fins tho like steven said tap the bubbles off the needle how long ago did you mix your water??? top off with any di ???

Mixed water yesterday so it's been about 20 hours. what's "di"?

Yea, spin the hydrometer and get the air bubbles off. Should be a difference. If there is a difference, it would be huge (like water layering.)

Slight differences wouldn't exist though, as the salt wants to evenly spread out. Most likely air bubbles on the hydrometer.

If there is layering, you could get a big old spoon and mix it up a bit or something like that. If it is not even, you will be able to cearly see the mixing. Although I just can't see it layering in a tank of that size...

If you dont want to get a refractometer...at least check your hydrometer against one to see how accurate it is. I had one that read 6 points higher than it actually was. Dont get me wrong, it was consistant, just inaccurate.

Back