damsel problems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

37tall

so i have a blue damsel.....i cant get rid of it. in this post please anyone with any ideas...humane or not please inform me...this damsel has killed two other fish and is an incredibly stubborn and greedy nuisance.. so please any ideas

you can get a fish trap and you can go by not feeding it for a couple of days then try catching it.
you can also try catching it at night when the lights are off, but you might have to move your rocks around to catch it .

Soap.

Just Kidding.

Try waiting until its asleep to catch it. That usually works best.

Other options:
Fish Hook: File down the barb, its actually less stressful than being chased with the net.

Tank tear-down: Big Bummer.

another damsel distress call!!

It has killed 2 fish??
Good luck, try all you can think of. They are NOT fun to catch. Smart little dudes.
You may catch everything else besides the damsel with a trap.
I had to take all the rock out to get mine.
Patience, that is what will work best for you.

Fish hook... least amount of stress, and what I've had most success with. Don't feed for a night, then next night, almost as soon as the hook hits the tank, you've got sushie! :D

How many other fish are in the tank?

When i had a problem with a stuborn fish, i just end up feeding entirely out of the trap. I had to do it for a week, before he finally got hungry enough, but trust me...they will figure it out eventually well everyone else is eating inside of it.

Just through it in and wait. (fish hook first though, that would be fastest :))

good luck

-augustus

I usually catch my damsels during feeding time. They are greedy fish and once I pop in some food they are usually easy to catch. Other than that, I've had to remove rocks many times before...Good luck!:)

So just out of curiousity did you get this fish as something to cycle your tank with? Was it the first fish in the tank? If so that's probably why it has killed the other fish? Did you do any research on the fish to learn that they were aggressive before you bought it?

i do not have much sense of humor when it comes to harming fish or any other animals and i do not even like when people jokingly / or not mentioning to catch a fish by hook.we are in this hobby because we love fish, coral and other ocean creatures. i agree with krish ,use 2 big net during feeding to catch him. i have caught many fish that way. good luck. jakleen

I had to get my damsel out when i put him in QT with my two clowns ( one died sadly) and boy was he a toughie to catch. Had to take down my whole aquascape AND still took me 20 minutes to catch him...phew!!! But now he gets along fine with my clown...I guess they're used to each other now

I had to get a yellow tail damsel out, but he was pretty trusting. I just feed him and when he came up for the food I scooped him with a 10" net. Anyways good luck I know they can become a problem.

Hey all, I've got a 300 litre aquarium that Im considering making a fish only tank basically. Its currently got African Cichlids in it and plenty of rocks and sand.
Any ideas what I can do with the rocks(lava rock) and sand.....?

Oh as for damsel probs people have, only buy damsels if you plan to keep them. Yes, people buy them to cycle new marine tanks coz der hardy but buy em to keep. As far as I know there are alternative fish u can add to a new marine system, the damsels I mention are not extremely aggressive;
Tank bred Percular clown.
Sixline wrasse.
Royal Gramma (Gramma Loreto).
Black tailed Humbug (Dascyllus Melanurus)
Yellow tailed Damsel
Green chromis
Bicolour chromis.
Damsels are not good for Nano reef aquaria!!

Back