das Ex1 vs. BubbleMagus BM160

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kaskiles

Hi,

I'm looking for an external skimmer to run 100% of my overflow into from a 40 gallon aquarium feed by an Eheim 1250. If the flow is too high for the skimmer, I'm just going to choke my Eheim back with a valve, if it is too low then I'm stuck. Anyway, I think I'll be ok on flow.

Pumps: I know the BM160 has an AquaBee 2000, but I don't know what is on the DAS. I think the AquaBee is supposed to be a good skimmer pump, but would like to make sure whatever I get has a good service-able pump that I can find parts for or replace when necessary...

Neck diameter: I believe the neck diameter can limit the dry skimming ability, even when the pump can pull enough air. Would either of these two skimmers have a better neck diameter than the other?

Finally, is there another small external skimmer that someone would recommend over one of these?

Thanks.

If I had to choose from the two i'd take the bubble magnus 160 in a heartbeat. The build quality is better, the CS is better, the pump is modded better 700lph vs 500lph(both use AB's), the price is cheaper and the design is better. And if your flow is to much T off your drain line and use a ball valve to control the flow. HTH

Luke

Ok, I'll have to wait for them to come in stock then.
Do you have any feel for the neck diameter difference?

Thanks!

The das has a larger neck diameter than the original bm. But the new version on the bm is suppose to have a larger neck diameter. I think the das is 3.5 and the bm was 2" which was the only real flaw in the design. I think it will be fixed in the newest version.

Ok, I've got the new BM 160. Just turned it up tonight in a 20g H sump. Hoping for the best on it. I just ran it overnight with warm water and vinegar, and rinsed it some. I think it's going to need a day or two to break in.

The neck on this one is larger than the BM100, inside diameter looks to be around 3.5 inches. The inlet nipple seems to be 3/4", this worked pretty well for me since my drain is 1" vinyl. I cut a 1" long piece of 3/4" vinyl to adapt it over, and running the skimmer in the sump for now. I want to see how it deals with various sump water heights as a recirc/external design. Water level in the 20h sump is now about 12" high, which is the bottom height of the outlet pipe on the skimmer.

I'm running 100% of my drain into it, sump pump is Eheim 1250 pumping up 4' and out a loc line nozzle. Flow is currently draining just around the circumference of the drain, then foaming up about 1/2 way down the line. No burping type flow though, pretty quiet.

I'll get a pic up here once it seems to start foaming nicely.

Thanks!

Wow, I really like this skimmer. The o-rings on the adjustment slit pipe make it way easier to fine tune.

Yep, the new wide neck makes it 10x's better imo. No need in pulling it all out, just let it suck down a cup of hot fw, that'll take care of it. Do that every other week and you should be good. Looks good, best recirc at that price hands down.

Back