Dawn's new 36 bowfront aquarium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

vlangel

1004949.jpg

I recently scaled down from a (4yr. old) 90 gallon reef system to this 36 bowfront. I kept a lot of my equipment and most of my livestock except the big fish. I used the nicest of my LR and used a lot of my sand although added some sugar sized sand to the top of the sand bed. I did change my old VHO lighting to a new 30" AquaticLife HO fixture. I had to slowly acclimate my corals to the more intense lighting but they seem to be responding well to it now. I kept my 9.5 Pondmaster pump so this smaller tank has more flow than the 90 gallon had and again I think the fish and corals like it. I supplement flow with my koralia powerhead. I kept my overflow box, (which I know most folks are nervous using but I've never had a problem). I kept my Prizm skimmer and its ok. I had a 15 gallon high sump in the 90 which was barely adequate(had added it after the tank was up and running and couldn't fit anything bigger without temporarily taking out the center brace in the stand) but decided a 10 gallon was enough for this smaller aquarium. I added a check valve this time so I don't overflow the sump since my returns hang a little lower in this tank.
This tank has a bubble coral, frogspawn, hammer, turbinaria, war coral, some trumpets, duncans, a mini carpet anemone, shrooms, sinularia, a small devil's hand and cabbage leather. The fish include kupang damsels, a pair of lyretail anthias, blue-green chromis, a tomato clown (that I raised), a purple firefish and a darling little yellow watchman goby. My clean up crew are 2 turbos, 3 serpent starfish, and 3 peppermint shrimp. I added my 1st clam, a crocea since I have better lighting. I've still placed it quite high in the tank since I don't have MH lighting.
My 90 had a blue backround but I painted this tank's back glass black and it really helps the equipment fade in the backround.
This tank is not extraordinary but I really enjoy it and am pleased with the overall look of it.

Looks like a work of art to me! I like the aquascaping, nice and open yet cavey. That seems like a pretty heavy bioload, 8 fish in a 46g total volume system I get told 7 is too many for my 110g system lol. Anyways the tank looks good so you must be doing something right!

Looks like a work of art to me! I like the aquascaping, nice and open yet cavey. That seems like a pretty heavy bioload, 8 fish in a 46g total volume system I get told 7 is too many for my 110g system lol. Anyways the tank looks good so you must be doing something right!
You are right, it is a heavy bio load for this size system. I normally wouldn't put this many fish in this tank but these were previous pets from the 90 and they even have names. I do faithfully do 5-8 gallon a week water changes and watch my perimeters. I keep an eye on the turbinaria and the clam too as both will show signs of stress if my water isn't where it should be.
Thanks for the compliment on the aquascape.

Beautiful tank! I'm personally very fond of the bowfronts ;)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
I have always loved bowfronts too. When I was buying my 90 I almost bought a 72 bow front instead but at the time decided I wanted the extra 20 gallons. This time it was a toss up between the 26 bow or 36 bow. With my fish load I had to go bigger and I'm glad I did. The water changes are still very manageable compared to the 90.

Tank looks great. With the bioload, if you can, id suggest a better skimmer. Just my thought on it. Your aquascape is fantastic. Looks roomy.

I am kind of considering a 46 bow front as an up grade. My space is limited so its either that or a 56g.
What do you have now? My LFS where I used to work told me there is a rumor that All Glass may be phasing out the bow front line. That would really be a shame if they do.

Tank looks great. With the bioload, if you can, id suggest a better skimmer. Just my thought on it. Your aquascape is fantastic. Looks roomy.
Yes, an upgraded skimmer would be nice. The toys in this hobby aren't cheap so I may just have to make the Prizm work for now.
Thanks for commenting on the aquascape. I'm an artist so the composition of the tank is real important to me. Also I maintenance tanks for a LFS for 5yrs so I got lots of practice with aquascaping.

I have helped several friends just cause I like aquascaping, but can't say that I've ever even been to Washington! Hope to make it on the motorcycle someday on my way to Alaska. I'll try to remember to throw my fish toolbox in the saddlebags!

Looks great, it's always hard to downsize though
It was hard. I had a gigantic anemone (I named him Absalom)my son gave me ( 12-14") for about 4 years and I knew he wouldn't fit in a smaller tank. I kept putting off downsizing because I was so fond of him and a Navarchus angel I had for about 6 years. Once I sold them then I was ready. I don't miss carrying all that water for the WCs! I'm not getting any younger so I have to think about these things. LOL

I think it looks awsome !! GREAT scapeing and the over all flow of how the tanks appearance is. GREAT JOB!!
Thank you, I appreciate the encouragement. I'm thinking' about changing out the koralia for a smaller profile power head. It does a nice job but I prefer the equipment to be almost invisible.
All6fish, is that reflective of the livestock in your tank? LOL. I'd have to be All8fish!

Well actually its reflective of my family lol get this, Tabitha my wife, Taylor oldest daughter 19 Tyler 17 Trevor 14 Tori (Victoria) 13 and of course me Keith the only T free person in the house lol. Thats not includeing our 2 dogs 2 cats 2 sugargliders and our 2 tanks lol...yaya I know addictive personalities run amock around here lol

That's funny. In our family I was kind of odd man out because I was the only female, although even I was a tom boy! My husband Dave and I have 3 boys, Nate 29, Matt 27 and Andy 25. The 2 older boys are married and Andy will be married Memorial Day.
I got Nate into fresh and salt water fish when he was a teenager but he's taught me most of what I know about reef tanks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I got a new coral this weekend and I'm really liking it. Its a Fungai plate and it opened up and extended its tentacles right away. I have it placed on the sand bed,(although I put a little rubble rock under it so the sand wouldn't irritate its tissue) front and center. Its always fun to show other reef enthusiasts new purchases!

Back