Dealing with a Power Outage - Will this work?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

what about the big UPSs that my dad has from like 10+ years ago that one puts 2 marine/deep cycle batteries in? do you think they're MSW or TSW? they were meant to plug computers into them...
Or the inverter 400W inverter i plug in to my car?
or do those both depend on the model?

I have seen no problems with the air pumps I have run on the MSW for whatever reason I think they are simplistic enough of a electro magnet that they don't really care

no wonder my mag7 went bad after using the generator for a while when the power was out. and when i went to use the generator next time it wouldnt put out any voltage and i had to buy some kind of bushing for the genrator. so what your saying is that some pumps and heaters dont like msw? is there any way to convert msw to psw off of a gas generator? great post by the way.

generators are typically not MSW but do in fact often have "dirty" power especially the cheaper units. If you needed a new bushing I am guessing you either surged or had a brownout on the generators output frying the pump...

generators are typically not MSW but do in fact often have "dirty" power especially the cheaper units. If you needed a new bushing I am guessing you either surged or had a brownout on the generators output frying the pump...

thanks mc lighting for the response. so should i be safe running the generator again with the mag 7 pumps? or should i eliminate the pump altogether? it is a cheap model generator from power max tools, 5500watt. what do you think? could it because i did not properly disconnect that caused the generator bushing to go out?

what i did was turn off the power strip. waited 30 seconds. then disconnected the power strip from the generator. waited for 1 min. then i turned off the power switch off the generator. which in turn shuts the motor off on the generator. im a newby for this generator stuff. thanks

no what you did is the proper way to shut it down... most likely you just had a bad generator with the bushing causing a voltage fluctuation. You should have no problems running anything on your tank with the generator you have if it has been repaired and properly adjusted for voltage and frequency..

no what you did is the proper way to shut it down... most likely you just had a bad generator with the bushing causing a voltage fluctuation. You should have no problems running anything on your tank with the generator you have if it has been repaired and properly adjusted for voltage and frequency..

thanks mclighting.

one more thing mc lighting. i have a marine battery and a power inverter. what can i buy so that i can inline some pumps to the inverter. and when the power goes out, it can switch to the battery; then when power comes back on it will start charging the battery...i dont know if that made sense, hopefully your knowledge will decipher it. thanks

Just wanted to add a personal experience with that Xantrex 400 unit linked to on the first page fo the thread. I have one on my 46g that is plugged in to everything but lights, including 2x 100W heaters. Total draw with everything running at once is about 300W.

Depending on how warm the house is, and whether or not I unplug my skimmer, it will run between 4-6 hours before going dead. I've done it on a couple occassions, so I'm not BSing. Smaller heaters aren't that big of a deal because they aren't on all the time. No... it doesn't put out a true sine wave, but I've experienced no failures because of it. (Skimmer uses a Mag3 pump).

Anyway... I've since gotten a nice Honda generator, but I still keep the Xantrex unit hooked up for those "hour-long" outages that seem to happen in the middle of the night. Good piece of mind, in my opinion.

One thing to note - if you have a GFCI outlet that all your equipment is hooked up to, a battery backup will pretty much eliminate that safety protection since it kicks on as soon as it senses the power is out. So if your GFCI does it's job and cuts power just as you stick your hand in a shorted tank, your battery backup will then nicely turn the power back on for you! Oops. Running a portable GFCI between the load and the output of the battery backup is probably a really good thing to do if you go with any type of battery backup.

Aye I think I got the idea of the powersource 400 from you kurt =) I swear by it and recomend them to everyone.

one more thing mc lighting. i have a marine battery and a power inverter. what can i buy so that i can inline some pumps to the inverter. and when the power goes out, it can switch to the battery; then when power comes back on it will start charging the battery...i dont know if that made sense, hopefully your knowledge will decipher it. thanks

http://www.iotaengineering.com/its30r.htm :D

You will still need to have some sort of trickle charger to keep the battery topped off as well as provide the very small amount of power the inverter requires at idle...

Back