Deep Sand bed and Live Rock placement

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

randythereefer

So I have a deep sand bed. Actually I've had one in some tank or another for about 5 years. Until recently I never actually thought about live rock placement. I usually just place live rock right on the sand. The thing is that I sometimes see the live rock actually above the sand like and inch or so in some peoples tanks (usually like on pvc pipes or something). Is there an advantage to putting live rock up off of the sand?? Pictures would be helpful too if anyone has any of their setup.:)

Like you I also have a dsb with the rock directly on the sand. It is my understanding that the raised rock allows flow under the rocks and thus help with detrius removal. I am thinking about going that route myself.

I had my LR placed directly on my sandbed for 5 years with no problems...still, the more flow you can direct over the substrate itself, the better....

MikeS

I too have LR on the sand itself..haven't done it any other way I just make sure it is dug deep and isn't going anywhere.
In agree with MikeS the more flow the better..eventually the sand,flow,invertebrates and fish will make it to there liking. Good flow also helps reduce algae problems,and detritus buildup.

Back