deep sand bed clams??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

There was a huge thread about this on reefcentral.com basiclly its hit or miss. I had 6 in my 100gal but only 2 have survived in the past few months. They are great for removing nitrates. I have heard that it is 1 per 5 gals but who knows. I used store bought clams from the seafood dept, alot cheaper! Soaked them in water until they bubbled/spit and then dropped them in the tank, good luck on whatever you decide.

i got 2 of those sand clams from a i believe saltwaterfish.com and they are doing great. ive had them for about 3 months now and they are doing great. i dig em up time to time to check on em.

There was a huge thread about this on reefcentral.com basiclly its hit or miss. I had 6 in my 100gal but only 2 have survived in the past few months. They are great for removing nitrates. I have heard that it is 1 per 5 gals but who knows. I used store bought clams from the seafood dept, alot cheaper! Soaked them in water until they bubbled/spit and then dropped them in the tank, good luck on whatever you decide.

Are you saying you were able to put clams from the pacific northwest in your tank and they lived? What type of clams?

thanks,

Oh really? i to live in the northwest and never thought of finding wild ones. where do you find em at? and id def makes sure to qurantine them for a good while. natural water is full of oils chemiclas and god knows what else

Last edited:

What store did you get them at? Are they a tropical variety?

Oh really? i to live in the northwest and never thought of finding wild ones. where do you find em at? and id def makes sure to qurantine them for a good while. natural water is full of oils chemiclas and god knows what else

Manila clams are all over the place, most place where you dig clams you will find manila. They are actually not native to the PNW and are native to warmer waters, so it makes sense that they can handle tropical temperatures. Next time I go clam digging I will make sure to keep a few to try out. And I am not worried about chemicals in these clams, the water is clean, I have been eating them all winter and feeding them to my family, good stuff.

Travis

Back