Deep Sand Beds

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

taterpig

I have 4-6 inch sand bed and wonder if I need to add live sand to help with the release of Hydrogen Sulfide gas? I have 90 lbs of live rock and the tank is seven weeks old.

DSB's can go through a mini cycle at first with some anoxic build up if it is not stirred up at all. Mine did for about the first three months. Had a lot of black patches accumulate, lots of gassing, but with frequent stirring to release all the junk it settled down. No science behind this statement, but I believe it can take a while for bacteria to fully poplulate a deeper bed if it's not stirred at first. Never seemed to have a real effect on my livestock though.

Same as Pentagona said. Just stir the top inch to get out all the gas. If you go to deep when stirring it you will make the process take longer, you just want to clean the top not take out the bacteria in the bed. I found in mine that I would see cycling of the sand bed for 6 months or so until it really became stable with enough worms and sand sifter to keep it clean all the time. Mine does not cover the entire tank but it as deep as 9 inches at the deepest point.

Back