Dendrophyllia

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

idgy

This may be a naive question. I just purchased a Dendrophyllia, is this safe to have with fish in the tank? I see it has the tentacles and I assume they are stinging cells to catch food. Can these sting and kill fish?

It is fine. Please be sure to read up on the lighting and feeding requirements. (Usually best done prior to the purchase, but I think we are all guilty of the impulse purchases).

Thanks, I did some reading on these guys. The feeding and lighting is not a problem. I was just concerned with the fish in my tank. :)

Sorry for the late reply but I'm a dendro fanatic. If these guys grab a hold of your fish, it will eat it up, depending on the fish size of course. Hopefully you have plenty of swimming room in your tank.

Well, all the fish I have are over 2 inches in length. I hope the fish are smart enough to stay away from it. Since I was not smart enough to find that out before I bought it.

IMO it was a good purchase since dendros are pretty rare, well around here anyways. Another good thing about them is that they're mounted so they can't go after the fishies. One of my denros' head is about an inch circumference (fully extended) and I had it facing my fishies swimming path. My yellow tang "accidentally" touched one of its tentacles and it shocked it and tried to pull it in to its mouth. Luckily the Tang was strong enough to swim away. Now the dendro is facing the other way.

Back