Design a DIY LED light

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ok over my head obviously so I will stay out of it. :D

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

thanks u guys. :)
im still kinda on the fence...
if im going to do my own fixture,
it must be slick looking, and a little cheaper.
im thinking i want;

channel 1;
magenta and red.

channel 2;
cyan and green.

channel 3;
cool white and uv.

channel 4
royal blue and blue.

from there i wanted to pony up for a dimmable driver for each channel,
then all 4 channels with seperate powercords controlled by a DA lite.

does this sound like im chasing a windmill thinkin this could be cheaper than the $700-800 fixtures im looking at??
btw this would be for a 20g cfi tank that is 24x16x12... so only 12" high, but 24x16 footprint

Yea no problem skimmy, probably about half the price. I dont know if I would hook it up to the DA, you could get a cool little unit with display that could do everything the da unit could plus more for about 60 bucks??

Mojo

If you already have a DA unit the ALC would work but you would only have 2 channels, unless you ran several of them. But that isn't really cost effective. 79x2=158. You could build a "in the hood" arduino for a quarter of that. The only problem is the programming, which I believe there is a cut and paste. I know katchupoy has a program and knows how to program them. The big thing to remember in your build is making sure each color is properly matched up by amperage rating. Your whites can be ran at 1050 mA but most of your colors can only handle 750 mA.

Has anyone done an LED build that was for moonlighting only? And maybe supplemental lighting? I am currently trying to figure out a good moonlight LED system for my 65H along with supplemental lighting and fuge lighting. For the moonlights I found these that may work, should they be put on a dimmable driver or run non dimmable driver?
Royal Blue Moonlight LED - Rapid LED
4 LED Moonlight Kit - Rapid LED

I thought that it might be a bit better to DIY my own using a mixture of white and blue for moonlighting. Any ideas on this?
Maybe a 3-1 ratio (3 RB to 1 CoolWhite).

Cheers,
Alex

Ok now that I found the thread. I have a 5.5 gal tank that will house dwarf seahorse's. But I would like to keep one or two coral in it. Probably a green star polyp or something like that. I don't want to limit the light to just cool white, and royal blue. I want it to stimulate sunrise, noon, dusk, and night. And understand that with how high powered these fixtures can be. I'd be hanging it from my ceiling. suggestions?

HTC tapatalk

It's 16L x 8W x 10H . I'm think I want 2cw, 2rb, 2cyan, and 2violet. With 50-60 degree optics on it for spread. Is this even possible?

HTC tapatalk

My new project!,

Again, another great thread!!! I have done lots of reading and am ready to tackle this project. Skimmy's thread has been an inspiration to me. Eric (EWW) , has volunteered to help guide me thru the process. He will also be helping me with the actual building and assembly as I have no skills and would otherwise be to intimidated to do a project like this. I am going to take him up on his offer.

I am looking for a Shell to house this system. I run an open top on our 34 gallon Solana. The fixture is on legs and is in plain sight, so this has to Look good. I insist that it looks quality,like a manufactured system would look.

I do NOT want to have to run it thru a controller. I want to be able to make my settings or adjustments thru simple controll knobs,or thru its own designated controll box. I want it to be very user friendly. My PAC SUN units were controlled via Blue Tooth on my laptop. It worked, but was such a hassle. There were so many steps involved just to get to the controll settings.

I want to be able to just go to the knob, or display, or whatever and make my adjustments. Does that make sense? Is that do- able?

I want to use different colors as well, not just the blue and white bulbs. I prefer the more blue look, around 19 k. I could go from 10k all the way to 23k with my PAC SUN units. I really want my corals to POP..

I want to use the best,most high end parts with this build. I will use Cree Bulbs. Most likely 3watts. Unless there are better options.
I have plenty of time,between 3-4 months till my current bulbs will expire.

I am recovering from surgery so my mobility just isn't there yet, but in no time I will be able to be up and about again.
Please post if you have suggestions or Ideas regarding what I am thinking....thank for you input..Shane

The big thing to remember in your build is making sure each color is properly matched up by amperage rating. Your whites can be ran at 1050 mA but most of your colors can only handle 750 mA.

To a point TAT. For my fixtures I go with 750ma across the board whites included. What I have found is that with LEDs your always looking for more surface coverage or a good spread across the tanks lighting surface. While accomplishing that your always going to end up with more lights then you need, so running them any where close to their max is never going to happen. A case in point would be eww's light, all of them are run at the lower Ma and he still cannot get it over 25% total power??

Mojo

Hey Shane! I am not sure of the size of the tank you have so put that up when you get a chance. As per the hood/fixture itself thier are a lot of options. Reefledlights has a shell fixture with a couple of fans mounted in that are designed for a 18 inch heatsink for about 60 bucks I believe. SO that or you could make one out of say Black acrylic?? or find some non aquarium fixture housing and build into it?? so lots of room for that, or if you have a wood canopy its real easy.

I want to be able to just go to the knob, or display, or whatever and make my adjustments. Does that make sense? Is that do- able?

Yep thats the simplest way to do it and the cheapest. You can get potentiometers for under 5 bucks each and then pop them through the fixture for direct control of a driver.

Major. This will be mounted over a 34 gallon Solana. Sorry Bud, I should have been more clear on that!!

I love the knobs you pictured. For the Price and for the easy adjustment.

I will look into the site you have suggested. As stated, I want this to look great!!!

Do you have any suggestions as to what Brands of Heatsinks would work best for my application?

I really like Cree bulbs and really have my heart set on them. Will 3 watts be overkill?

Thanks for your input on this. I am in the planning stages but I have a very good Idea as to what I am looking for with the end result.

Thank guys. I just browsed and bookmarked that site..Damn, what a SICK sight.....There is no search engine on the sight though, so I can't find where they have their Shells for sale...I guess I will just have to browse the whole site..Good thing I don't have anything else going on...lol

Shane, I can come down any time to help you put a list together. I an very familiar with their site.

Mojo, the Solana that Shane has is a 20x20x20 cube if you didn't know that already :D

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Opps no I didnt Eww thanks, I stopped a long time ago with all the names out thier. Ok so on a 20 x 20 cube your probably going to want two of those pending on your rockwork and such, go a picture of the tank???

Mike

Thanks so Much for the links...Damn, you guys are so awesome here..

Major, I do have pics of the tanks. However, I am posted up in bed and using my IPAD, and RF will NOT let me upload from it. I have the same problems with another forum I am a member with. I can take some pics with our digital camera, upload them to my wife's PC, and post them. If I start to feel better I will try to later. I'm pretty nauscious this morning. Meds have really got me down today.

Eric. You are incredible. You are going above and beyond. We will be in touch soon. I feel and look like **** right now so give me some time and we will get together.

Like I said, I am in no real rush, but since I'm down I figured I would start to research and get a product list going.

Thanks to everyone for their input and help..This idea will be a reality soon enough!!!

Alex.. That is Exactly what I am looking for. Do you guys think the Fans supplied will be big enough? Should I get the Slim, or the regular version?

I don't want any limitations with the size of the Heatsinks

It says that it fits the 18" Heatsinks. Is the length of the shell 18", or is it 20"?

Suggestions?

Last edited:
Back