Desperate for plumbing help!!!! lots of pics!!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

shogun97

I recently had my tank drilled. The tank is a standard 90 gallon tank with an internal overflow placed in the middle of the tank. I have 1-1/2 inch tee fitting right outside the bulkhead which has a hole drilled in the cap for a durso style drain. I inserted a piece of air tubing with an adjustable air valve so I can play around with it without worrying about holes.

Now here is my problem....its LOUDDDD!!!! like I think I'm gonna pull my hair out loud!!

The only way I have been able to get it whisper quiet is when I close the ball valve and slow the drain enough where the entire hole is covered and all the air the in the system is worked out.

Also I can get the overflow to be almost silent if I throttle back my pump but the water moving through the pipes is god awful!!

I'm gonna make an effort to include pics

As you can see I can't fit an elbow in my overflow. I have no experience with saltwater set ups so maybe I'm just over looking something. MOST if not ALL the noise is coming from the pipe that runs along the tank bottom. PLEASE guys help me shut this tank up!!!!!

ps return is ehiem 1262 900gph

Thanks for the heads up I'll have to host the images some where else so they will work. From what you have read do you have any suggestions?

I have the option to edit my reply but I do not have the option for my main post? Is this normal.....if I'm missing something really easy cut me a little slack I'm sick as hell at the moment!! I found if I refreshed a few times the images came up. If a mod can delete the thread I will be happy top repost it with new img tags

Hello;

I really can't see all your pictures. However, I will make a few suggestions and hope the other members do not throw stones at me or start sounding like Lewis Black! :lol:

"a hole drilled in the cap for a durso style drain." Don't need much of a hole for air and an air stone works good as a filter/silencer.

"The End-Cap is held on with teflon tape. A very small, as small as I could make it (thickness of a toothpick), hole is drilled in the top of the End-Cap fitting. This allows some air to enter into the standpipe. This size air hole worked well for my setup, you will likely need to tinker with it. I would suggest starting with a 1/16 inch drill bit for the air hole in the End-Cap. If you find the water level in the chamber fluctuates quickly then the standpipe needs to suck in more air. Try a 5/64 inch drill bit to make the hole slightly larger -- increasing the size if need be. Do not be surprised if you need to go as large as ¼ inch with the hole size. The lower the flow the larger the hole size needed."

Full article: http://www.dursostandpipes.com/BuildYourOwn/tabid/54/Default.aspx

Also, I would insulate all the pipes with water flow --- to reduce noise and temperature change.

Looks like in the pictures you drain straight down ?? Do what you can to keep water in the drain pipe if this is the case. Like a sink or toilet with a gas trap :) without lowering water flow too much like a valve does.

I hope your setup is similar to the article and this information helped!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It has to be right, I read it somewhere!"

"OFM"

Enjoy!

OFM

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply I added the valve so I didn't have to drill all different size holes. So I can adjust it to any size up to 3/8. Does the water in my overflow need to be covering the entire hole? I'm really trying to learn anything I can about tuning. I can manage to get the overflow quiet its more the water running through the pipes. I just wonder if its the 90's that are causing all the issues. I'm really considering getting some flexible tubing and giving it a shot

Hello;

I may not fully understand the question. Overflow air hole ? If this is the question it is the design to be exposed to the air and never covered.

I may be wrong here --- has worked in the past. The hole is not mandatory for an overflow, it is there so the overflow will start again (when the tank is topped off) if the water level should ever get below the siphon and to adjust to water fluctuations.

OFM

Last edited:
Here are links from the images:
reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/145411Picture_002.jpg
reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/145411Picture_005.jpg
reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/145411Picture_007.jpg
reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/145411Picture_011.jpg
reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/145411Picture_010.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Again;

If the hole in your tank is on the bottom or on the back of your tank well below the water line you do not need the Durso at all. I can see no purpose in it but to introduce noise and air into your drain water. Remove the T-fitting and install a 90-elbow at that location.

Enjoy!

OFM

In the second picture, it looks like you have the water flowing out of the tank horizontally. Try throwing a 90 elbow on the end of that and point it down into the water. That should prevent so much air from being sucked in.

I tried that Jamie but I can't fit an elbow into my overflow. do you have any other suggestions?

Hello;

Maybe someone can explain this setup to me If you don't mind. A bottom drain or any drain hole in a tank well below the water line should be setup to limit in some way the amount of water that overflows from the tank in case of a return pump failure etc,. If I am looking at this setup correctly it does not limit it from the rear of the tank --- so, why a Durso ? Does the pipe inside the tank go up close to the surface of the water or is there just a bulkhead fitting in the rear of the tank ?

Confused! :confused:

OFM

From what I can see in the pictures you got to turn off the valve otherwise your just going to suck in air while your pulling water in through the bulk head, which creates a burnelli affect or you made yourself a large venturi. Which can make alot of noise. Not alot you can do in this set up imo almost looks like your bulk head is almost the same height as your overflow, ideally you woulda had your bulkhead as close to the bottom of the overflow as possible. If I remember corretly from a top overflow bulkhead setup as you have I think you can only pull about 300gph without the water height pushing it down through the bulkhead. You could try a piece of flex tubing and shoving it into your bulkhead a bit and then pointing it down towards the bottom of your overflow that might give you a fair idea if a corner piece (whether you made something or not) may work.

Shogun97;

This may be a wonderful new innovative design that I know nothing about, in that case disregard this post. I post this in hopes of some help --- before I leave the board for the day. :)

The Durso modification is a limiting/adjustment factor on the amount of water exiting the tank, with your valve design you can even adjust for varying water line heights to a degree, etc,. It also, is a means to restart the flow as described above. However, it's design is based on a normal standpipe design with an overflow chamber. This overflow chamber is the key and I have seen some with multiple chamber designs attached to long pipe across the rear of a tank. In your design with the Durso on the outside of the tank, the Durso does not achieve this effect unless it has a chamber of some type which I have not seen in your photos.

If at anytime you are sucking air in your drain there is a problem/noise etc,.

I would move your shut off/adjustment valve to the end of the pipe where it enters your sump etc,. This will help keep your pipe full of water if all else is working and you use this valve for flow adjustment.

I hope I have helped!

Enjoy!

OFM

Hey OMF I think you might be on to something there. I think that is really my only shot at keeping my bulkhead submerged. I wonder if my bulkhead is too big the guy at my lfs assured me that this was even a tad small.

which hole are you referring to? I assume the hole in the cap of the tee fitting? I'm pretty sure I have read a post when you suggested that. I think I have read everything on plumbing on here LOL.....Thanks guys you are honestly the best!!

Ok this is what I put made last night and I was able to fit it into the overflow.

picturewp9.jpg

The overflow itself is super quiet but once the water hits the the ball valve or the first 90 it starts making noise. I'm gonna play with it a bit more and see if I can quiet it down.

Thanks to all that have been trying to help me.....this place is the best!!!!

Hello Shogun97;

I think you made a chamber :)

I think I would still move that nice ball valve to the sump end for more flow control and to help keep the drain full of water and quiet.

Keep us informed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If they say it can't be done, try harder!"

Enjoy!

OFM

Never use a valve on a drain to get rid of noise. A durso with the vent hole properly tuned will be nearly silent.

Don

Back