DI water or USP

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tangtang clown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently got 15 gallons of DI water to use as top off water.
It is DI water (deionized). Is this bad for my aquarium?
I also can get USP water. I put USP in before and had no problems.
Is DI water bad for aquariums?

I was just looking it up on yahoo.
USP is what pharmaceutical companies use for their product.
Sounds like it would be great for an aquarium.
They uses UV light and many many different methods to purify the water.
I think DI will work just fine. The only bad thing with DI is that it draws all the metal out of the water( which is good ) but straight DI running through your pumps will draw the metal ions out of your pump(bad). I have seen these affects at work.
I think if I just add it to my aquarium as top ot, or even use it to do water changes, it should not be concentrated enough to hurt anything.

I was just looking it up on yahoo.
USP is what pharmaceutical companies use for their product.
Sounds like it would be great for an aquarium.
They uses UV light and many many different methods to purify the water.
I think DI will work just fine. The only bad thing with DI is that it draws all the metal out of the water( which is good ) but straight DI running through your pumps will draw the metal ions out of your pump(bad). I have seen these affects at work.
I think if I just add it to my aquarium as top ot, or even use it to do water changes, it should not be concentrated enough to hurt anything.

Once its in your tank its no longer dionized. It would take many years of straight di water to harm a pump.

Don

Exactly. I agree. There is a sump pump at work that pump out the condensation from humidifying chambers and the humidifiers only use DI water.
We just replaced one which had been setup for five years.
The pure DI water made the inside of the pump, and any water passing through it, raisin colored. It even thin the metals that the pump was made of.
Crazy to see.

Back