Dialisys for the reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW

R.I.P.
After seeing the Dialaseas system a few years ago Ive always want such a set up. With my new tank this is just the ticket. I will have a new camera soon so will get pics up of the new system and this gizmo later. This will be a long drawn out thread explaining the why and how it works as I progress. The first part is the hardest which is salinity control.

Plain water has a specific gravity of 1.0 a horizontal float switch has a specific gravity of .5 which of course is why it floats. All I needed was a float switch that had a specific gravity of 1.025 and another of 1.027. Just like a ato I think its a good Idea to have a high and low limit. Now the hard part where do I find such a switch.
Its simple we just mod an everyday switch. The horizontal float itself is sort of hard foam. Simply drill a #7 hole in the end of the float almost all the way to the pivot point then tap with a 1/4-20 tap. Now just run a stainless set screw with no head into the hole all the way to the bottom. Now cap it off with a nylon screw for a plug.
Mix sw to 35ppt checked with a refract and warmed to the same temp as the tank. With the screw all the way in the float will float at 1.0. Slowly back the stainless screw out 1/4 turn at a time after a few trys the float will start to sink. Once the screw is set just right it will just barely lift off the stop at 35ppt even if its fully submerged which it should be to be accurate.
Now test it out by removing some water and replace it with rodi water, the float will drop to the stop. Now go the other way take out water and add really salty water. As soon as it hits 1.027 it will rise and trigger the magnetic switch. Float switches do not absorb water and will not change so once its set it will stay there. I used a Madison switch for this experiment. For a period from sept 06 to today dec 07 the switch has remained accurate and is controlling two different relays connected to two aqualifters and a auto top off. One has sw and the other rodi water.
This was the biggest hurdle to get over on this project. The next step is how to make sw brine. I'll explain this in the next step.:)

Don

Last edited:
great ingenuity. can ya gives a pic of the float switch. thanks

It really wasnt my idea. It was stolen from this image of the patented idea. Its used in the dialyseas and many auto mixers used in photography and x-ray industries. Of course you cant buy one since they are custom made for a specific purpose so I use the madisons and the aquahub horizontals.

Don

Absolutely brilliant.

Thank you, this should be pretty cool. I still have alot of details to work out but the sg was the biggest issue. I just scored more high pressure peri pumps on ebay so I should be able to start adding subsystems soon.

Don

i dont get it Don. Sorry for being stupid... what is a dialysis system.... can you explain more? tnx Don

i dont get it Don. Sorry for being stupid... what is a dialysis system.... can you explain more? tnx Don

Dialisys is when they take your blood filter the crud out of it and put it back due to having a bad kidney. There is a manchine called a dailyseas that does the same for a reef its made by sea vision. If you look at it first glance it looks complicated but really its quite simple if broke apart into smaller sections. It goes for about 3 grand and has some drawbacks. I'm doing my own just on a larger scale with a few modifications and additions, including 24/7 water changes. The salt brine section I will be replacing with properly mixed saltwater. The rodi is replaced with my 10 stage rodi, I'm adding two part addition canisters, adding ozone canister, adding denitrification canisters, adding phosphate removal canister,adding final carbon canisters, adding auto top off with sg selective effluent.

Mine uses only one 1/4 rodi hose and no wires going to the tank. The hose goes from my laundry room to the tank. Instead of tiny pumps I'm using high pressure peristaltic pumps to push water around. I dont want to mess around with it only doing small amount daily like the dailyseas, I want to precess the entire tanks volume once per day at least in one way or another with at minimum of a 3g per fresh salt water addded.

Don

Wow! Ten stages,
Are you able to get the water all the way through that just off the tap or are you having to use a (huge) booster pump?
Looks like you're on to another great product here Don.

No booster on the rodi Ive had a 10 for a long time now it used to be 12 but I got rid of 2 membranes so I could get rid of the booster pump. Now I just use 2 75gpd membranes. My house has 80psi.

Don

So here is the next step. Keeping in mind this entire system can only have one 1/4 tube going to the tank from my laundry room. I'm using these mec-0-matic pulse feed peristaltic pumps one for alk and one for ca.
These come with a high pressure injector that literally squirts under pressure into a pressurized pipe up to 100psi. They have a self cleaning injector / check valve. The ato is time based so as to allow for accurate two part dosing. At the top of every other hour the ato activates, that 12 times per day. Six activations are for alk and six for ca alternating. Just before the ato activates, the injector for either ca or alk pulses a dose into the tube. The dose is then pushed to the sump by the rodi. This scheme does three things it doses, tops off and flushes the tube so that the two parts never mix.
These pumps are the perfect solution for this sort of thing. They come with a weighted strainer, the injector and tubing. The dose is fully adjustable with the turn of a knob or adjusting time.

Don

DonW-I love this thread (and the others you've started). Thanks for sharing some real DIY skills!

Cheers-Tony

DonW-I love this thread (and the others you've started). Thanks for sharing some real DIY skills!

Cheers-Tony

Thanks, hopefully this one will turn out as well as expected. I'm testing some salt now that does not have any calcium so hopefully I can use a brine but have to wait and see how well it does.

Don

McGuyver's at it again!!! :p Great idea Don! Good luck with the project :)

Thanks, I just sent the first water sample to the lab to see how well its working through the kidney's (dialisys membranes). If the lab has good news for me next week I'll be thrilled.

Don

Don, have you heard back from the lab? any update here?

I did and it works great. Now the big Hick-up is the membranes falling on their face at 20 days even prefiltered down to 1 micron and the rodi putting out 0 conductivity. The rodi is another story it took the addition of a third di to get it down to 0 conductivity which is a completly different story than 0 tds. I think overall it works and works well. The cost involved in maintaining it are mounting to nearly 5 times that of just doing a continuous water change. The cost factor so far is leading me to believe it was a good learning experience but otherwise I would not recomend it at this point in time.
I'm gong to drop the prefilters down to .5 which is as low as I'm willing to go due to cost and give it one last go round. If I cant get 60+ days out of a membrane I'll have lots of spare parts.:)

Don

Would a cation/anion type of unit help to ease flow and cut down cost?

I doubt it. My incoming water is pretty clean at 25 tds. The issue with the ro is you need ultra pure water to get the full effect of the dialisys membrane. It take pure water to filter the dirty tank water.
The biggest thing is the prefiltering of the tank water down to .5 micron. So basicly taking all that stuff in your skimmer and filtering it with filter cartriges gets pretty darn expensive. You can picture how quick a 100 micron filter sock plugs up, so to plug a .5 micron cartrige doesnt take any time at all.

Don

Back