Diatoms

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish - I realize you sort of had to repeat yourself on that answer, but I appreciate it. I'll try that- I may also be over-feeding the fish. At this point not sure what the correct frequency & amount is...

No problem at all man...If you like I can repeat it again :lol:. Honestly doesn't bother me at all so no worries. :)

On the diatoms, regardless of if you are overfeeding the tank or not, it is usually inevitable to happen with all new tanks. Even old tanks sometimes go through a short period of a diatom bloom so don't think you are doing anything wrong. Main thing is not to over feed the tank and also, to be sure you are using ro/di water because tap water is usally pretty high in silicates which diatoms love. The diatom bloom should subside before too long. :)

I'm using RO water from the LFS. Even with 5-6 gal per week for water change plus another gallon or two for top-off - at 50-cents-per I could pay for a small RO unit in less than a year.

I'm using RO water from the LFS. Even with 5-6 gal per week for water change plus another gallon or two for top-off - at 50-cents-per I could pay for a small RO unit in less than a year.

Haha!! That is usually the case. I buy my ro/di water. It's like $4.50 for 5 gallons. When I set up my 90 gal I had to lug all of those 5 gallon bottles to fill it! Going with a nano next tank so it won't be as bad LOL!

Nice thread! I have a question though, what about the use of UV steriliaztion? Would this be another way of masking the real problem?

Nice thread! I have a question though, what about the use of UV steriliaztion? Would this be another way of masking the real problem?

Thanks!! :)

On the UV sterilizer, not sure if it can actually kill diatoms. With that said though, if the diatoms (or whatever) isn't free floating in the water column then it won't do you any good. UV's are only effective when the water (and anything contained in it) passes under the UV light. You have diatoms on your sand bed, then a UV is useless as it doesn't pass under the UV light..:)

Chiming in almost 2 years late but WOW!! What great info. Have been researching for hours now & by far everyone's info is great. Tank has been cycling over a year. It's a 55 gal with 30 lbs live lock & about a 2" DSB with crushed coral on top. I neglected it bad for awhile I my nitrates were out of this world when I finally paid attention to it & wanted to get life going in it. Did many things except chems to lower the nitrates (long story short) & all is well. Added a cpl blue damsels to make sure all was well & they're so happy. Finally added a cleaner crew for the detritus etc on my live rock so their natural color blooms could thrive. Cpl of emerald crabs, snails, hermits, scarlets & 4 peppermint shrimp. All is still well with water params but haven't tested phosphates. Live rock color starting to come out yay!! Just this week (added the cleaner crew last week) I've noticed an increase in from what I've read here are diatoms on my glass & in my substrate. After reading the great info here I know what I need to try doing. 1. lower my damsels food from 2x per day to 1. 2. turn off my lights for a few days (currently running 65KVHO's & Actinics, & blue night lights) & go from there. Before I added the inverts & damsels my lights were never on so there would be no increase in any kind of algae. 3. increase my water flow at the surface & below as well. Am I getting this right? Oh......running two maxi-jets, a cascade 3000 filter & protein skimmer as well as having a chaeto in a slotted container with water flowing through it. Right now diatoms are minimal because I keep cleaning the glass where the snails aren't hitting yet. Have considered getting a jester gobi & tang but just emailed liveaquariu.com to make sure it would be safe considering what I have going now. I need something to sift through my substrate but at the same time be nice to my other creatures. Whew!! Bedtime. Any other input would be great if I'm not too late on this one.

Back