Dieing Xenia

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jezzeaepi

The fun never stops in my tank, and the issue today seems to be that all of my xenia have been dieing for the past week. Ive never had any problems with my xenia for the last 2 years, but after doing some serious tank maintenance a few weeks ago I have noticed that my xenia has been on the decline. In this week I have increased my flow a little, cleaned out a lot of detritus that had accumuated in my sump, and got my cheato growing better in the sump, and finally added some LR to aid the bio filitration in my tank. My nitrates have dropped from like 20 to 5, and I have done a 30% water change. My LPS look better then ever, though my SPS are still doing poorly. The xenia on the other hand have been shirveling up and dieing. I am at a loss. Is my water too clean now? Anyone else have problems with their xenia dieing when there paramters appeared on target?

Peace

20 is high.
10 is eh
5 is oh well

water change water change water change.

I considered is a blessing when my xenia all died. Try adding a couple drops of iodine in your sump on a daily basis. That may help. Xenia are a funny one, some people can keep them for years and have them be prolific, others just cant get them to take off. I hope you can figure it out!

I have the same problem it grew like mad then started to get smaller even though everything is fine i.e. phosphate and nitrates and even ph and flow still dying off my iodine is fine as well at a loss myself.

Ive read that in a couple places. I think Julian sprung and Anthony Calfo have both stated it. It also keeps in line with what happened. I dropped my nitrates from 20 to 5 and they died. They had been growing quite quickly in 20ppm nitrate for months.

Ithink that the nitrate reason is the same for my pussy soft coral just does not seem to be growing seems to be shrinking as well since my nitrates fell.

after being in water of poor quality and drastically sending them back to cleaner water can give things a shock. I've also heard that xenia needs to be harvested regularly to keep it from crashing

Try increasing your flow, they get a slim on them that will suffocate them without proper flow, I need to kill some of mine off. The have grown from a 1 inch sq piece to a foot sq section in less than 6 months

My white xenia died off for unknown reasons - no changes in the tank - within 2 weeks, but started to return several months later.
BTW, moving the pieces in a good healthe to 2 other tanks didn't help - all xenia disappeared. Maybe part of some natural cycle.

Back