Different PVC Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

RandyStacyE

The 'DIY Page' can be here.

It's been running for about 24 hrs and produced about a 1/4 cup of gunk. These pics were taken about 2 hrs after it was plugged in:
sumplow.JPG

sump1.jpg

skimmerbubbles.JPG

insidesump.jpg

gxinsump.JPG

Its using a GX-2400 needle wheel pump. More to come.

I got a little overanxious and raised the outlet pipe a tad too much which eventually overfilled the skimmer cup. So I wasn’t able to show pics of what was skimmed after a couple of days. This is a pic a few days after that incident:
1weekcup.jpg

I did do a good size water change just before I installed the skimmer.

I upgraded to a much larger filter sock. I have a feeling that the GX-2400 may be a bit too small, but I’m not positive yet. I’ve been following the thread below and hopefully some small modifications to the pump will help with getting some more air.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=905144&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Does anyone think a GX-4100 could be too big for my dimensions?

Reaction Chamber OD: 6.63”
Reaction Chamber Height (base to top of cone): 16-1/2”
Overall Height: 24-1/2”

The pump feeds the skimmer 8” up from the base.

That is way cool man...I don't know how I missed this thread earlier this month because I usually don't miis much(LOL) You really did a great job using the PVC and it looks like it works really well...Thanks for sharing:)

pushing the wrong button makes you start all over - well here is the short of it
Gen X submersible GX6000 water pump. 1587 max gph. 1300@3ft head
Gen X submersible GX4100 water pump. 1085 max gph. 750@3ft head
Gen X submersible GX1000 water pump. 265 max gph 130@3ft head

Sedra 2500 rate 250 gph with 6 ft
Sedra 3500 rate 350 gph with 6 ft
Sedra 5000 rate 500 gph with 6 ft
Sedra 9000 rate 900 gph with 6 ft

So if you jump to the gx6000 it seems to almost double the flow. Mine I have a gate valve instead of the riser but I have it cut back pretty far and beleive it will handle a Sedra 9000 easily. Would be nice if you could see the level in your skimmer at different heights of your riser. I guess you can pretty much see how high you are keeping the level by the riser height and guess what a larger pump would do. If your riser el is pretty high on the body then stick with what you have and BTW did you look at the next skimmer model up from yours to see what they run

You can look at my build and estimate what it might do. I do not have sedra specs at 3 ft. you can prolly give it a linear guess and it may be close. here is the link to mine just haven't posted it out here yet.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16248

link to lots o stuff at this store
http://www.customaquatic.com/

I checked out your thread ... thats one big skimmer. Looks great. The drain fitting sure saves a lot of screwing arround doesn't it?

It seems to skim just fine as it, but it will be better!

Definitely a cool build with materials readily avail at the hardware store. I think it is great when people build there own equipment. Kind of makes you understand how things work and why and leaves a large space to tinker and improve on a design. One thing I found with mine is the cup could be larger to accommodate the dry foam I get. (still need to put a drain on it) I am lazy and still need to put a float valve on the sump where the skimmer is but have not yet - not like I have two just sitting on the shelf doing nothing - wait I do. What size tank are you skimming at the moment with this?? I wanted skimmerstein to skim a 125,75,30,30 and maybe a 20 that is why it is so damn large - well and that was the size of the tube I had. Besides I just found a cheap 180 that needs a bottom - maybe if it is cost effective... (wiping the drool) Well there is only one sure way to see if she can take more horsepower and that is hook her up let it fly!

Last edited:
I’ve got it runnin under a 55 gal. I liked making the skimmer rather than paying an arm and a leg for one. I liked the ‘Snailman PVC Skimmer’ but found that 6” fittings were not cheap at all. I would love to have built an acrylic skimmer, but didn’t want to go that expensive either. When I found the drain fitting at Lowe’s and the clear plastic cup online, it all came together from there.

I haven’t gotten around to hooking the bigger pump on it yet, but I’m anxious to see what it will do.

So you’ve found a 180 gal without a bottom? Does that size require tempered glass? How are you planning on going about repairing that if you buy it?

So you’ve found a 180 gal without a bottom? Does that size require tempered glass? How are you planning on going about repairing that if you buy it?

Yes I think it is but will put tempered in anyway I am thinking 3/8. If anyone knows the correct thickness let me know! Tank repair is a cinch if you take your time and do a good job. To repair you must carefully remove the upper and lower tank frames well in this case the lower one and remove all silicone from the joint area - I use a razor blade the wipe the snot out of it with denatured alcohol. I will prolly strip the silly cone from the side corners and redo the whole joint. Let it dry completely and water test. From the phone conversation I am unsure if I should actually buy it or not.

Nobody is going to believe this … well maybe. I just removed the GX2400 in order to swap it out with a MUCH larger pump w/needle wheel. I removed the venturi and decided to clean my GX2400 needle wheel before I retired it. I thought gee, how come my needle wheel doesn’t have any needles? I never put the needle wheel in it! ! !

So, I popped in the needle wheel impeller and off we go, starting from scratch. I thought I was getting some real satisfactory results with just a standard impeller. Its foaming now … again.

Ahhh yes the best laid plans - well the needle wheel will cut down on the flow but will get better bubbles I think therefore better skimming. The seller retracted the 9000 I was bidding on:cry: But I did get 72lbs of live rock last night:)

I read your page on constructing the skimmer and running across a couple of issues - one, can't find the drain at my local Lowes (Wouldn't happen to have the SKU still, would you ;) ) - it may not matter however because I may have to do 4" (max height 16") to get it in my sump...

But in reading the directions several times - Step 4 needs more information. Let me see if I am understanding.

Back in step one, you cut all but the male thread off of the union.

In step 4, you take a small piece of PVC and use it as an "adapter" between the floor drain and what's left of the male thread. This way, the cup assembly with the other half of the union screws into this (must be: I guess I had to type it to get it...)

If I'm off, let me know.

I'm trying to build for my 20G and going to generously steal from your design. Thanks!

- Jeff

I read your page on constructing the skimmer and running across a couple of issues - one, can't find the drain at my local Lowes (Wouldn't happen to have the SKU still, would you ;) ) - it may not matter however because I may have to do 4" (max height 16") to get it in my sump...

But in reading the directions several times - Step 4 needs more information. Let me see if I am understanding.

Back in step one, you cut all but the male thread off of the union.

In step 4, you take a small piece of PVC and use it as an "adapter" between the floor drain and what's left of the male thread. This way, the cup assembly with the other half of the union screws into this (must be: I guess I had to type it to get it...)

If I'm off, let me know.

I'm trying to build for my 20G and going to generously steal from your design. Thanks!

- Jeff

The union is actually female slip on top and bottom. A small length of 2" PVC joints the drain fitting to the Union that has been shortened (I just cut the union shorter).

You're right though, the text in that step does need some work. It states that is shows 'before' and 'after' the modification of the union, but there isn't any picture of 'before'; it only shows the 'after' pic.

Here is a pic of the drain fitting:
drain1.JPG

Part NO. D50-201

Bar Code#
7 17510 50201

4-way area drain

Made By:
PlumbBest

What was unclear in the assy instructions was that the short modified male piece of the union is attached to the floor drain via a very small piece of PVC - so that you can screw-attach (instead of glue) the cup assy to the tower assy (and that it's not glued there - which is how I initially read it).

just trying to be helpful,

- Jeff

Just joint the union to the drain fitting using a short length of 2" PVC. I didn't glue it. The union and the drain fitting are both 2" slip.

Quick question on Uniseal installation - there is no mention of gluing the uniseal in place... just lube it up, and push it into the skimmer tower?

Thanks,

- Jeff

That's the cool thing about Uniseals, you don't have to glue them or anything. They suggest wetting the PVC pipe that you will be shoving into the Uniseal with Windex. You don't have to use Windex. Some prefer not to use it for fear that it will contaminate their tank. I used Windex. I don't think you are supposed to "lube it" with a lubricant like Vaseline etc...

Just cut the hole using a hole saw, the Uniseal just pops into place and the pipe is shoved in. The Uniseal is tapered shaped inside so when the pipe goes in it pushes the Uniseal outward to create a very tight seal.

Back