Different PVC Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

yup, you have to put a filter sock on the sump inlet as well to keep stuff out..
i'll just plan on soaking mine in vinegar once every couple weeks, that's one of the many things i liked about the ati skimmers is that they come stock with air meters to determin when it's time to clean:)

Just wanted to update on my skimmer (post #21) - I had a spare impeller for my QO 1200 and did the bio-ball mod to it. It looks really good, but I'm not really impressed with the behavior of the skimmer after this mod.

It seems I get the best results when I DECREASE the amount of air entereing the skimmer and significantly slowing down the water I put through the skimmer - yet every thread I was reading late last night (the very long gutter gard mod thread) everyone kept trying to shove more/more air in the skimmer.

What should I be trying to target here? Thniking about changing the body out for 5"x20" acrylic and a wider neck...

After your bio ball mod (which I've never done) the impeller is supposed to be able to better chop up the air and handle the air/water mixture better than the paddles. Yes the overall flow rate will be less than with a paddle type impeller, but the skimmer performance is supposed to be significantly better.

You say “I DECREASE the amount of air entereing the skimmer and significantly slowing down the water”.

Assuming that this is not a recirc skimmer:
How are you slowing down the water? Are you restricting the inlet of the pump some how – like with a valve? That wouldn’t be a good idea as the pump would be forced to draw in much more air due to the restriction in order to compensate. If you are at the same time using an air valve to turn down your air that is not good on your pump (premature wear & tear). I know that many have made ‘adjustable venturis’ by using valves, but not for the intention of “slowing down the water” but to find the sweet spot for air draw vs venturi diameter/restriction.

If you have a valve on the air line feeding the venturi, there’s nothing wrong with that, but I’d start with it most of the way open at least. I can’t speak for everyone, but I leave my air line wide open all of the time.

Assuming that yours is a recirc skimmer:
I'd assume that the recirc bio ball pump should draw more air or at least just smaller bubbles. Slowing down the flow through should give you better processing of the water that does flow through by giving you more contact time.

How does your pump act when you open up the air?

Last edited:
sorry for the confusion - I have the QO1200 set up in recirc mode running full blast with air control in it's eductor.

I have a small 90 gph foutain pump feeding the skimmer and this is how I restrict the H2O flow through the skimmer.

At this point, I was more impressed with the skimmer's performance before the mod. Now I am spending too much time dinking with the adjustments to keep a head on top without getting the skimate too watery.

It's almost like the more air I put into it, the bigger the bubble are and the less foam I get.

I would yank that sucker off quick and try the thread wheel mod. You've probably got the right idea with the gutter guard mod too. I am modifying a GX2400 paddle impeller for experimenting with as we speak. I just don't have an air meter to know for a fact if it helps, but I can tell you right now that my tank has a low bio load, mostly corals, a clown, a tang and I don't know what my other fish is ... Anyway, my skimmer is pulling out about 4 cups of crud every 3-4 days or so. It's wet, but I like it wet (no pun intended). This is with just the stock GX2400 and the DIY venturi.

I never liked the look of the bio ball mod. The pegs seemed to big and too few for my taste. I will also be trying some of those 3M Roloc Radial disks to see if they work.

I would be interested how the rolocs work. I should grab some from work. as for the bioball mod - that is just supposesd to crash the bubbles into smaller ones. The whole needle wheel and thread wheel is to whack the bubbles so they are smaller which leads to more surface area therefore more area to carry the protiens to the surface. I tried a bio ball mod but it didn't seem to look right. I think the roloc would be closer to a needle wheel. I have a MJ1200 I want to play with to enhance my first ever skimmer - the Sea Clone 150. I have a question one of you may know - Wouldn't an air block (the wood kind) be great in a skimmer? The bubbles are finer than my sedra 5000 puts out. Maybe I will hang one in there this weekend and see what happens. Maybe too much maintenance for the average Joe.

Do you mean air stones? Worth a shot if you don't mind using them. From what I understand they need some maintenance occasionally; more than a needle wheel. With that big skimmer of yours, you'll need more than one.

Yes but they are made of wood producing finer bubbles. I have a few. If I have time I may play. I have Anthony Calfo comming to our LFS on friday - he is showing us how to take pictures of our occupants in our tanks. Then The local club there is gonna meet afterwards. Sat we have a fragging lunch. And of course the Honey do list here at home.

So - I think I am going to give up on the QO 1200 - not enough "umph".

I looked for the GenX2400 at Custom Aquatic and ALL of the NW (ORs and GXs) are on back order...Suggestions? I would like to order something I can either use stock or Mod, but would like to get it this week.

Thanks,

- Jeff

Well here is a posibility:
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/8787/cid/2142

I'm sure most of you guys have seen these pumps before. I do know that they are compatible with the sedra/Euro-Reef NW impellers. The DP pumps, GenX, Sedra, Resun King, etc... are all the same/similar.

I believe the WP4 works with the Euro-Reef NW for the Sedra 9000. That WP4 may be way too big, but I use it just as an example.

You could mod any of the WP pumps impeller. Their impeller looks like this:
wpimpeller02.JPG

Some say that the metal can rust ... I don't know. I do know that my pump had a partially exposed metal plate in the rear. You just pop off the back plate on the pump and you will see it. Just use some coating to coat/waterproof the plate and its a done deal.

They are excellent pumps and work for years ... I wouldn't doubt if they are made by the same manufacturer as the big names. They might be seconds or 'flawed' due to the exposed plates ... would explain why they are so cheap.

I was curious one day so I bought a WP2 pump, a WP3 pump and a Euro-Reef NW impeller for a Sedra 3500 from a different store online. I just knew there would be a match. Well when I received the impeller and the pumps NONE of them matched up. I was totally puzzled. I sent back the pumps thinking ‘I screwed up’ and ordered a WP 4 pump. Finally a match! The problem is this is not the equivalent to a Sedra 3500.

The real problem was that the other store sent me the wrong impeller. I believe they sent me a NW impeller for the Sedra 9000 and NOT for a Sedra 3500 like I ordered. This pump/impeller match was too big for my PVC skimmer. I then ended up with the GX-2400. The pump in the pics, on my web page is with the WP 4.

I’m sure these WP pumps will match up with the GenX and Sedra NWs. Which one is anybody’s guess. It shouldn’t be that hard to match them up by their flow rates.

Last edited:
so what do you think of the Gen-X 2400? My skimmer is somewhat smaller (4", 1.5" neck). People seem to have varying opinions of them - some think they are loud (this is going in the living room...). Would like your thoughts on yours before I blow $40 at marineandreef.com. Either that or I'm into ~$70 for a Sedra 3500.

Thanks...
- Jeff

I don't think anyone can argue too much the noise difference. Sedras are quieter. I think its just the difference in the impeller design.

It isn't too loud under my stand ... the sucking/gurgling sound from the venturi is much louder than the pump itself. That's solved very easily.
Video:
http://randystacye.com/images/diyventirisilencer/diyventurisilencervid.mpg

I couldn't say that the GX pumps are better than any other ... I don't have a basis of comparison. I don't have an air meter yet either. With the impeller mods I've seen on RC, people are making the GX outperform most NW pumps on the market.

Back