Diffused Flow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

silverwolf

Just an idea that I had in my head, not sure if its any good. Was thinking about a closed in clear acrylic box that covers each end of the tank, it will have numerous 1/4 inch holes drilled into it and 1 main input at the top. Was thinking this would dissuse the water flow and would be able to have a high volume output.

The only thing with that many holes is the pressure drop. You will get a very little pressure out of many holes, probably not enough to feel to far from the diffuser.

Thats kinda my idea, large volume , low velosity.Plus I think if I put it on a EBV I would be able to get a decent mave flow patern

I would start by thinking how many holes you want to have, calculating the total area of the holes. Lets say you come up with the same area of a 6" pipe. Think of the pump you want to use for this, and adapting a 1' x 6" pipe to the end of it, pointing the pipe straight up and turning on the pump. The velocity of the water coming out of it is what you will get if it was divided into that many holes. If it is low velocity you want it will work, but will not add much movement to the center of the tank, and I believe it will lead to dead spots in the tank for detris to build.

Back