Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mattseattle

Hey everyone!

I was curious if anyone has tried the Digital Aquatics "ReefKeeper"? It looks like it's from a company in Everett. It has a lot of great features as well as a decent price.

I was thinking about ordering one of these. It would allow me to get rid of a few of my powerstrips and timers as well as a few other things.

reefke2.jpg

Features:
Digital Light Timer
Wavemaker (with softstart)
Feed mode
Night mode
Digital thermometer and temp control (temp probe included)
Temperature fan/chiller control
Metal halide “sure-on”
8 programmable channels (No need for separate X-10 devices)
High power design: 15A total power, 6A per channel
Resistive or inductive loads
User optically isolated from AC power
Splash proof face plate
Microprocessor design
Internal backup battery for clock and settings
Simple menu system for easy configuration
Display box can mount flush to cabinet for professional look
Compact and stylish design

Last edited:
Hey Matt,
What was the price?. Sorry if I missed it somewhere.
Oops found it. Thanks
Scott

Last edited:
sorry i havent tried it

looks like a nice model and not a bad price at all, humm, might have to try it, not sure

Jay

I was going to buy one, but after reading a rather long thread on RC about it, changed my mind. One of the uses I had in mind was to shut off the MH lights if the water temp exceeded a certain temperature--it reportedly won't do that. There are also reports of software issues.

FWIW, I heard Neptune is coming out with a similar model to compete with the DA Reefkeeper.

yeah, what you described is a future feature. it does either turn on a chiller and/or a fan when the water reaches a certain temperature so that works for me.

as far as the software issues i saw several reported with version 1.4 but version 1.5 resolved those. we probably read the same thread. i also skimmed the sponsor forum for Digital Aquatics for issues as well as complaints against customer service. Customer service received a very positive rating. The complaints against version 1.5 were far and few between.

I was also excited to see they are in Everett which is close to Seattle. I could easily send it to them if something happened.

The only negative I see is that you have to send it back for firmware upgrades instead of doing it via serial cable or some other means. But for the price and feature set I couldn't find anything better.

I am excited that I can get rid of several times, couple powerstrips and a thermometer. It will also give me 2 redudant ways to make sure my heater doesn't stick on. :)

I'll post a review once I receive it as I went ahead and ordered it.

thanks for passing that along Katrina. It has some nice features. The base unit has a nice price as well. If you order one let us know how it works. I already purchased the Reefkeeper though.

hey reed,

i've been extremely pleased with it over the past month and a half. it's been very stable with all it's functions.

i have it hooked up to my 2 x 250w halides, VHOs, return pump, power heads, heater and a fan. it turns the fan on when the tank gets up to 80.0 degrees and turns the heater on at 79.0. my tank stays at a pretty stable 79.5 or so. so far i don't have anything negative to say about it. it's been stable without any flaws (knock on wood) since i first installed it. it's easy to set up. took me about 2 minutes to figure out all the functions. i definitely recommend it.

well i've just have been working on getting my tank automated so i can actually take a vacation without worrying! :) or at least making it simple on my neighbor. :) she'll just have to come over and feed the fish versus topping off my tank, etc.

Back