Digital camera

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The Apprentice

Hi Guys I am leaning toward this one :Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8.0-Megapixel SLR Digital Camera

Model: Digital Rebel XT 18-55 Kit

But i would like some help. I am no camera expert but i am ready to get me a nice digital camera I would like some In put on this the guys at Best Buy said for Macro shots this is the best.
Question 1 is it? Question 2 anything Else out there just as good?
I really am buying this for taking Macro shots of the tanks any feed back would be greatly appreciated

Rule 1: *NEVER* listen to sales peoples' advice, especially the likes of Best Buy and CompUSA. They're college dorks, not experts.

The RebelXT is a great camera. I use a Canon 20D. The XT was in the running as I was deciding cameras, but I wanted a couple high end features, and most importantly, the XT was too small for my hands. Nonetheless, it's one serious camera. You won't go wrong.

The 18-55mm lens is not a macro. You will not be able to take macro shots with that lens. When you step up to this level of camera, it's not the camera that makes the difference, it's the interchangeable lenses. The 18-55mm will take every day photos, and will work well for "just shooting" but you need a macro lens for macro shots. I'm personally a "Canon-only" snob, so I won't even look at other manufacturer's lenses, though many photographers praise Tamron and Sigma. Canon makes a 60mm macro and a 100mm macro (There are others, but they're upper-end, and cost more than the package you're looking at). The 60mm macro is a decent lens, though I've found it to be inferior to the 100mm, in my experience. I posted a few shots I took with the 60mm, about the center of the page:

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11059&page=6

The 60mm seemed to lack that "POP!" that the 100mm had, but it may just be me not knowing that lens as well.

Finally, I *HIGHLY* recommend buying online. If nothing else, steer clear of BestBuy, they're the worst retailer on the planet, in my experience. Take a look at this place, it has an awesome reputation, and pretty good prices as well:

www.bhphotovideo.com

Thanks for the reply Sherman I will do alot more reserch as for store Best buy Is all I have locally to get "Hands On" But I am going with your advice about looking On-line...Thanks again...Jeff

Yeah for the Camera add on about another 4-500 for a good Macro Lense... IMO all you need is 2 extra lenses besides the kit to make that camera near complete...

Kit lense with Camera 18-55 899.99

Macro Lense 100mm 400-500.00

75-300mm Telephoto Lense 200.00

Dont forget atleast a 1gig High Speed CF card and a Decent Camera Bag...

If your looking for a good macro Camera go with the Nikon Coolpix or a Fuji S9000 Either Take pretty good Macros..

http://photobucket.com/albums/v487/cj104882/Macro/

Here is macros taken right out of the box with my Fuji s7000 which is the old model of the S9000

HTH<
James

Jeff,
I recently bought a Cannon SLR Camera with 3 lenses. The lens interchange. If you do buy this set up let me know, I can let you borrow a lens for a short time. The one lens being a telephoto was alone $300.
cheers Buddy!
Ed

I have the Canon Digital Rebel XT, I think a good camera. The lens that is provided is a decent all around lens. I have been playing with a 100 mm lens as well for macro shots. Those do well.

Thanks for the feed Back James

Well James if i was running a poll its 3-1 in favor for the
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT (a.k.a. 350D) are you still working at that little store in Wilsonville? Thank you Ed & Chuck for the feed back Its looking closer to me getting a Canon...Jeff

Illusion said:
Yeah for the Camera add on about another 4-500 for a good Macro Lense... IMO all you need is 2 extra lenses besides the kit to make that camera near complete...

Kit lense with Camera 18-55 899.99

Macro Lense 100mm 400-500.00

75-300mm Telephoto Lense 200.00

Dont forget atleast a 1gig High Speed CF card and a Decent Camera Bag...

If your looking for a good macro Camera go with the Nikon Coolpix or a Fuji S9000 Either Take pretty good Macros..

http://photobucket.com/albums/v487/cj104882/Macro/

Here is macros taken right out of the box with my Fuji s7000 which is the old model of the S9000

HTH<
James

I wouldnt pass up the Rebel XT... I was just giving you a more out of box solution Some people dont want to drop the 2k+ on a camera...

As for Wilsonville No I am not.. My discount would not have been much at all.. I think I 20-25.00 when I looked.. Most of that stuff has an MSRP (locked price) Even though Its illegal people still find ways to do it... Check Todays paper One Might be going on sale..

James

James

I got a Nikon D50 last fall and have been thoroughly enjoing it ever since. It has been great for taking Reefy pictures, as well as pictures of my kids and at events, etc. I chose a Nikon Digital SLR over the other brands due to some benefits described in the Nikon over the others, including a better included kit lens. The D50 is a nice, entry level Digital SLR that has plenty of features, but at a pretty low cost.

Now, if you are wanting GOOD macro shots, keep in mind that after you buy the camera, you very well may end up making a couple of addition purchases. Specifically, you may find yourself wanting a tripod & ballhead, and possibly a actual macro lens as well. The included lens does pretty well for me. And I have managed to take some good macro pics. However, I have also missed good pics due to the fact that I am still freehanding the closeups, and not using a tripod.

Here are some examples...

067Small.jpg

053Small.jpg

043Small.jpg

004Small.jpg

003Small.jpg

If you'd like to review the full resolution pics, email me and I will send them to you. They are just a LITTLE BIT TOO BIG for fullsize posting.... :)

Unless you have existing lenses, its a tossup between Nikon or Canon SLRs. Go to a camera store, play with both, bring a CF card with you and take home some pictures. Pick the one that feels best to you and you think best fits your style.

Both companies make great SLRs with excellent lens lineups and guaranteed longevity in your investment.

Expect to buy a macro lens or at least an extension tube if you want to get really close, but most of the good short focal length lenses can get pretty close to a subject.

-Dylan

Its a tossup between Nikon or Canon SLRs.

Thanks Dylan and the rest of you guys for your input I hope to do just that try both the Cannon and a Nikon out and see which is more operator friendly

Llarian said:
Unless you have existing lenses, its a tossup between Nikon or Canon SLRs. Go to a camera store, play with both, bring a CF card with you and take home some pictures. Pick the one that feels best to you and you think best fits your style.

Both companies make great SLRs with excellent lens lineups and guaranteed longevity in your investment.

Expect to buy a macro lens or at least an extension tube if you want to get really close, but most of the good short focal length lenses can get pretty close to a subject.

-Dylan

Back