dimdims tank thread !

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dimdim

hey all! i thought id put up a thread for my 35 gallon reef tank as ive read and read on this forum and everyone has lots of knowledge and im looking to gain some advice, experience, open to ideas, and all around discussion !
35 gallon- no sump- sump in process
penguin 200 hob with carbon(no wheel)
marineland maxijet 900 circulation pump
topfin 30 powerhead
35 lbs lr
33 lbs live sand
6x39 t5 ho
currently have 6 12ks but ordered my actinics and should be here anytime
6x39wt5 12x1w bluemoons
fluval 200w heater

livestock i have
two damsels
1 mexican turbo
4 astreas
4 hermits
3 nassarius

corals
fuzzy mushroom
blue/green/red mushrooms
small polyps on mushroom rock
frosgpawn frag
green star polyp frag

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
img2507mh.jpg

img2536x.jpg

mg2548.jpg

mg2547v.jpg

mg2543.jpg

mg2500h.jpg

So what are you feeding?
How often do you do water changes.
I notice your not using a skimmer or did I just miss it! Are you including it in your plans for the sump?

Lol you didnt miss it, i am currently doing 3-4gallon changes every 5-7 days no skimmer yet, might incorperate an air driven diy skimmer in a corner of my fuge, it worked amazing on my ten gallon i had .

Oh i am also feeding once every other day to very small feedings once a day depends how hungry they look :) i treat my habitants with half a mysis shrimp cube once every two weeks. No dosing but plan on adding chemi pure or phos ban to the hob once i move it to the fuge/sump

Thank you! They are very timid damsels, they often play around with eachother :) cant wait to get my foxface and coral beauty :)

You will be able to feed a little more,(which will allow you to get more fish) once your sump and skimmer are operational. That'll be fun. I love coral beauties but they can be pickers. I had one for about 6yrs. but when I got a feather duster it just wouldn't leave it alone. I finally had to move the feather duster to the sump until I downsized my tank and decided the coral beauty had to go. Now I have lots of feather dusters but no dwarf angels. It seems no matter what size tank you have there are always things you have to give up!

i dont have any feather dusters :) dont plan on buying any either..i personally think they are kinda wierd...and odd, strange creature to me lol. asthetically to me they are not pleasing at all.. with such an ugly stem :S
will the coral beauty nip at any polyps:S

That is what is so great about reef tank, lots of diversity. Something for everyone.

My coral beauty never bothered any of my LPS and like you I also had frogspawn. Every fish is an individual though and I'd never say they were absolutely safe. You'll just have to watch him close when you first buy him. You might want to let your frogspawn get a bit bigger before you make that purchase.

Ah thanks for the tip! Im planning on letting the tank mature as i just add corals, once its almost stocked ill add the coral beauty !

I had a 90 gallon set up for 6yrs and when I downsized I used that sand in 36 bow front. It didn't looked gunked up and it smelled like fresh clean salt water. It worked fine and your sand should too, especially only being 2months old.

you will probably want to rinse it in RODI water before using it to get any of the detritus and other dead stuff out.

i have a coral beauty with a ton of coral including feather dusters. i got as an juvenile.. if kept well fed and happy it should leave all corals alone. i believe that is key. i even have frags and lots of lps softy's and high end sps.i personally would make him to be the last fish though as he can pick on new fish. as for coral depends on the fish same with flame angels. and can even aquire an appitite years later. just pay attention to your tank like every1 does. i personally notice the smallest of things in my tanks.

Awesome! I had the tank taken down, the sand is drying.. That ok?

I didn't dry my sand. It literally went from one tank right into the other. Since you are drying it, rinse it very thoroughly as all the living organism in it will have died. It should still be fine if you rinse well.

Back