Dipping small clams for pinching

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Are you thinking of freshwater dipping or doing the metronidazole treatment?

With further reading I'm going to put them in in quarantine and treat them, beacuase I don't know that they'd stand a freshwater dip longer than 5 minutes or so. I gave them 1 5min fw dip and they look very good today, but they are still pinching in certain areas, so I am going to treat them with metronidazole and see if that helps.

Anicdotally, I have dipped small clams and never had problem. However, I have not found anything under 10 minutes in a fresh water dip to be of much use. Just my experience.

-Erik

Should I attempt another dip, or set up a hospital tank for metronidazole treatment instead?

I would attempt to do another dip first. Get yourself a turkey baster and blow off any micro-bubbles and the muscus, if there is any on the clam.

IME

I attempted to last time, but they didn't want to open. Since I dipped them yesterday, how long should I wait until their next dip? Right now they're looking better than they have in a week or so, and they don't look stressed, except for mucous production (and the pinching, of course). I've been feeding them about 4x the phyto they normally get, as well. When should I dip them again, and for how long? Thanks!

Thanks. I'll probably dip them tommorow and see how it goes. I'll do 10 minutes, and if they're opening, I'll continue the dip for a total of 15. I will post my results.

Back