Disapearing Firefish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LarryB

I put a firefish in my tank yesterday, I thought he would be an ideal tankmate for my mandarin and my jawfish. After a nice long acclimation he seemed happy, was out all day and even ate. Now this morning there is no sign of him. I have heard they will hide for a while, but after being out all day yesterday I find it odd that he is not visible. I know that they are jumpers but after my jumping jawfish episode the top of the tank is totally covered.
I don't want to start moving rocks around cause the jawfish hates when I disturb his work. What are the chances he is alive and hiding?

LarryB

I use to have firefish and the 3 of them hide all the time. They lived for about 4 years and I only saw them at feeding time. I also would go throught long periods of time not seeing one of them.

At this point, I would not worry about. He ate well and did not show any signs of stress. He just probably found himself a den and is kicking back.

LarryB - has the fish come out yet? I agree with petitreef that it is just hiding out. Let us know how he does!

All is well! He did spend that day in hiding but now he is out for a good part of the day and eating like a champ. My jawfish has some many holes dug out he probably just took on of the unoccupied ones. He's a cute little bugger.

Back