Discus

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LydieCakes

Hi
I was curious if anyone else is into freshwater Discus as well. I'm not... really.
Im a reefer kinda gal... But my Dad LOVES THEM and is alway looking for ppl to buy from.

So, if you are into Discus... feel free to post back or pm me.

Thank you!

I have kept Discus in the past. I have raised them from eggs as well (breeding pairs).

We had a major storm here in November 2 years ago & I lost them all, sniffle...however, I really had fun.

My main tank was a planted 90 gallon.

Here's a few PIX...the Dad, the Mom, the babies (juveniles) in a few breeder tanks

These are a strain of German Dragon Discus. I had another female before this one that had yellow eyes, not Red, she was cool.

A GOOD place to go in the Seattle area in MAC's DISCUS. He has great tanks and interesting strains. I only know him through association. He allowed me to visit his operation & I cherry picked some awesome small discus...very cool fish

http://www.macsdiscus.com/

Later
artguy1

Lovely! I am going to have to get you some pics of my dads fish.
At this time I think he has....

Uh, 22 big ones now and I think about... 44 little ones.

I will try to get some pics for you of them as well.

You're babies were lovely btw. Sorry to hear you lost them all in a storm. We have done a lot of work to ensure that if there is a big storm or power outage that we don't lose them.

I used to keep/breed discus about 10 years ago or so. Moved on to just reef tanks after my kid was born. just not enough time to devote to everything!

that's a pretty discus ting(get it get it ???) fish :p :D ...sorry doods i couldn't control myself, i'm in a goofball mood right now :D .
i think those fishes are very pretty :)

Hey no worries... goof it up!

Ya, well its good for my old man. He's retired and it gives him things to keep him busy. Aka.. water changes.
He is trying to get them to breed and so far hasn't had much luck. They lay eggs but they dont seem to be getting the man seed... get me...

Raising Discus can be a full time job if you let it. One of my buddies raised Discus, and used the proceeds to buy a fairly nice sailboat...used to take it out on Puget Sound. Lucrative also...but you do nothing else in your life just Discus...is the trade off worth it...hmmm

For me I did it long enough to know how much work it is, raised a bunch of little ones & bailed once we had a significant power outage. Just never got the Discus ball rolling again. There are so many strains now...what awesome fish they are!

Well he loves em.

I can't complain. Its really his only vice. I just gave him the 220 out of my garage to set up for his fish. He has so many and yet is alway looking for more/new ones.

About the power outage, dad has officially hooked up battery back ups for EVERY tank he has. Yes, obsession.. to say the least...

Well he loves em.

I can't complain. Its really his only vice. I just gave him the 220 out of my garage to set up for his fish. He has so many and yet is alway looking for more/new ones.

About the power outage, dad has officially hooked up battery back ups for EVERY tank he has. Yes, obsession.. to say the least...

WOW, a 220 for Discus, now that's gonna be a cool tank! Have you checked out the Mac's Discus site yet?

Course. But with cold weather. Now is not a good time to ship.

Ya, well the 220 is just one of the many tanks he has. He doesnt have any tanks under 65 unless its a breeding tank....

Back