Discussion on Controllers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks for the info on the probes Ken!

When I was doing the research on all the pieces to put my tank together, Neptune Apex was clearly a winner in my book as far as the ease of use and what it was able to do right out of the box.

Unless I get one from someone used, it will be awhile before I take that plunge as I have everything i need being controlled by various devices already.

Mike,

The Neptune Apex is their new model:) Its amazing, like Ken has pointed out. Almost unlimited expansion and can be used to control multiple aquariums. Neptune has answered their phone every time we have had too call. Fantastic customer service!

I started with a Reef Angel. It seemed like a really great product for the price, but it just wouldn't work with my set up. It has a 10amp limit if I remember. I needed more, so I sold it to a fellow reefer and got a RKL. It does all my lights, pumps, heater, and has a PH and Temp probe. Still haven't tried to hook up my calcium reactor yet. Not sure if Ill be using to RKL to control it though. If you aren't running a huge system and are on a budget, I highly suggest looking into the Reef Angel. A little more complicated to set up, but it does alot.

I use a 2 stage Ranco for temp control, 2 fans for cooling and 2 x 150 watt for heating a 125 gallon. I also use a wifi cam to monitor tank, I use a Iphone and Ipad app to monitor it any where. Can also log into a web site and move or turn the camera.

Mike,

The Neptune Apex is their new model:) Its amazing, like Ken has pointed out. Almost unlimited expansion and can be used to control multiple aquariums. Neptune has answered their phone every time we have had too call. Fantastic customer service!

Now that is something good to know!:)

I also use a wifi cam to monitor tank, I use a Iphone and Ipad app to monitor it any where. Can also log into a web site and move or turn the camera.

What or where did you get it?

+1 for the locals...digital aquatics reefkeeper lite...$99
16 digital timers, 4 plug ins, temp control, lighting control, and powerhead wavemaking all built in, plus the ability to add on just about anything else you want, NET, ph/salinity, ATO, more plug ins, on and on...

I want so much to like the digital aquatics system because they are local. A decider for me is Net capability. Both have it but from what I have read, the Apex is more plug n play. Espeically for an intel mac guy. I would like someone to show me that I am wrong. I would seriously consider buying DA. They are a few miles from my office.

I want so much to like the digital aquatics system because they are local. A decider for me is Net capability. Both have it but from what I have read, the Apex is more plug n play. Espeically for an intel mac guy. I would like someone to show me that I am wrong. I would seriously consider buying DA. They are a few miles from my office.

I actually thought that the DA gear was really simple to setup. Easy to mount and connect. After that you simply need to calibrate your pH, orp, and salinity sensors (depending on which you ordered, of course). The problem that I hear most folks having is setting up a static site so that they can monitor their system. Once you've got the system setup, go to dyndns.org and setup a free account so that you can access the webserver in the controller. That's the part that most folks stumble over. Not sure what the differences would be between the obviously superior PC and a Mac but I can't imagine them being very much different in setting up access.

As I said earlier, my only complaint about DA is their response to the salinity probe issue. Good gear.

Mike

As I recall DA does not support remote control via the network and their update (firmware) process are very different and requires connecting modules directly to a PC so there are some very different things as far as how the different controllers are maintained over time.

any body else?? im so curious! i would love to get a whole monitoring system because im gone here and there and work a hectic schedule.

I checked around on the DA forum of another website and the threads there pretty much confirm that you cannot control and program using the NET module. Some threads talk about how to setup software running on a PC to gateway through to the controller but that is all I was able to find that suggested remote abilities.

I also went to the DA website and for the NET module there is no feature listed for remote control or programming and I would have expected it to be listed if it was available as that was one of the main items of complaint when the DA gets compared to the Apex.

So I'm not 100% sure (because I don't have a DA unit) but I'm pretty sure they don't support remote control or remote access for programming the unit.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them but I have been using the Reef Keeper Lite for the last year and a half and love it. They start at $100 or so and I love using them for the lights and heater (I just set the heater itself to 78-80* or so, then have the controller maintain 76* and it does it on a much finer scale than the thermostats built into the heaters.

You have to get an SL1 or SL2 module and a float switch or two to turn the RKL into an auto top off, but then you can run a pH probe with either module and can use that for dosing. There are also wave maker functions but I haven't used them, and you can turn fans on and off based on temperature as well (along with the lights) and do other things.

For $100 if you run multiple lights (main, actinic, moon, etc) and a heater I think it would be easy to justify. Plus it makes it easier to check the temperature of the tank (just look at the screen). Also the new MyReef 2.0 software looks very promising.

I'm not sure what Neptune has to offer and have stopped following them since I bought Digital Aquatics products but I know they made some pretty impressive stuff as well. Then there is also the Profilux but I don't know anything about that and am under the impression it is quite a bit more expensive.

I agree, at $100 its hard to pass up on the ReefKeeper Lite. Just using it as a temperature controller makes it worth while. You can control your heater within a .2 degree window, you wont need to worry about your heater failing in the on position and if the water does get too warm you can set an alarm that turns off your lights.

I have the ReefKeeper Lite (net) which gives me 8 controllable outlets, temp, pH, the ability to monitor two float switches, remote monitoring over the internet and email alerts. I have been relatively happy with the system in the 18 months I have owned it. Since I broke the 1 year ownership mark I have had a temperature probe and my SL1 module go bad. This was slightly irritating but I don't hold it against DA.

All this being said DA irritates me like few other companies can. I can no longer bring myself to go to their official support forum or sponsor forums on other sites. They seem to love announcing new features and firmware updates very early along with approximate release dates like "available in a few weeks" or "available by Q3". I get my hopes up looking for the new feature only to have it grossly delayed. I then expect with all the delays that the product be stable but find glaring basic functionalty breaking bugs like its barely been tested. My biggest problem with DA though is I find their customer service to be very poor. Their forum representatives are not always helpful and overy defensive.

I want to upgrade my controller capabilities but I am currenlty at the module limit of the RKL system. I am now looking at either a ReefKeeper Elite or a Neptune Apex. I like to support local but Digital Aquatics customer service has me seriously considering the Apex.

I don't like to bash, even though I just did, this is just my experience, YMMV.

We have the Neptune Apex and it has been great. We have had some bugs with it but Curt at Neptune helped us out within hours of sending him an email and even on a SUNDAY!!! His customer service is amazing!! The biggest complaint I hear with the DA systems is customer service and support. There has already been mention of it in this thread and if you check out any other forums you will see the exact same thing. The biggest issue we have with the Apex is the remote access and that isn't an issue with the Apex that is with our router.

Back