diseased fish need id

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sivart33

so i have no idea what this could be sorry about the bad picture. the fish hides well.

DSC00250.jpg

how to treat would be great also. i will look more around the internet, but this is prob the fastest way.

all the other fish are fine (for now) and all swimming and eating, i have not seen the goby eat today though, but yesterday he looked fine

This is a complete stab because I can barely make out the fish under the rock. It looks like there is some sort of scale displacement or flaking and the only thing I can think of is a fungal infection or fin rot. If you can get some better pics that would obviously help a lot. Having said that, why do you think the fish is sick? It's not uncommon for a goby to dig a hole or hide under a rock.

Mike

Looks like a sleeper banded goby to me, but it's very difficult to say. It does look like the fin is being deteriorated or nipped at.
Picture from LiveAquaria.
p-71107-goby.jpg

Unfortunately, your picture doesn't show much at all, other than there "MIGHT" be a fish in there somewhere. It might help if you could at least describe what's going on. What does the ailment "look" like? How is the fish acting? What makes you think your have a diseased fish?

yes, has white eye looks inflamed and scales look liek they are falling off around the eye. he hides a lot in the live rock so kinda hard to get a good pic, i have been trying for the past 30 min.

ya here are some pics, when in a acclimation container, i got a hold of it and got some good pictures of it.
DSC00254.jpg

DSC00255.jpg

Looks like some sort of infection to me and now his eye is popped out. You need to get the fish into a quarantine tank and treat with some antibiotics. Someone will have to help me with a name here but I believe one of the common brands is Maracyn II. It's advertised for freshwater and tropical fish but it can be used to treat infection in marine fish as well. I believe that the manufacturer says you can treat fish in the main display but I would never do that. Good luck.

Mike

its cool, looks like popeye so kinda got to let it run its own thing, i could QT tank it but ill have to get ro water tomorrow

Is it just one eye? I would test your water parameters and do some water changes. It's a good idea to have a quarantine tank set up any ways, so that you can treat sick fish on the fly and watch new fish so that they don't introduce any diseases. Lee has a few stellar articles on the topic in this forum and I highly suggest reading them.

The Maracyn II has a tendency to kill beneficial bacteria in a display tank, so it's not recommended to use it in that capacity, lest your tank may crash. You could get away with using it in a QT tank with enough water changes, however.

Good luck!

Back