Dish ID question/quandary

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ryan Mackey

We have a tank here at the shop that is for my enjoyment. For years, I was without a "collection" and I missed it.(Of course I had all the other tanks here at the shop but it was not the same.) Not only would this tank satiate my desire to keep and display unusual species, but it would also be the "itch" to my customers, the irritation they could not easily soothe without sinking neck-deep into the quick-sand which is the SPS dominated reef tank. We started with an All Glass Reef Ready 125, planned for heavy reef wall on both left and right, but left open space in the middle for something, we were not sure what, something really vast and unusual as a centerpiece. A large shelf or "dish" form Acropora was agreed to be a great choice as the current in this location would keep the "dish" cleaned out, and it would be directly below a 400W 20k Radium bulb.
Sea Dwelling Creatures sent us what they ID'd as solitaryensis, a 6" round brown, dish shaped colony, with a distinct "stem" beneath it. We glued it in place and have been "hanging on for dear life" ever since! Our nice little dish has grown to immense size and dominated the tank.(I don't mind, really) As this coral has grown and changed over time, we have considered its identification to be dubious, and have asked alot of smart local folks for opinions as to its real ID. Some say efflorescens, others insist " its a soli". Some books show pictures of branchi and glauca which are very close in certain respects. So here it is. I am including 2 pictures of the "big fella" as well as 3 other corals which were ID'd as efflos. Anyone wish to take a stab at ID? Any help would be swell. [email protected]

First and foremost, thank you truly for sharing pics of this absolutely delightful coral. Its a pleasure to see mature catpive specimens!

As for an ID, I sincerely wish we could help, but IDs from pics are hard enough... and without a closeup of the polyps, it really is guesswork. Moreover, once an Acroporid (and many other corals) have grown for some time in captivity, the literally cannot be distinguished in many cases from their species type. Charlie Veron himself has been known to refuse to even look at specimens if they have been cultured.

So alas... a reliable species ID is just not possible, my friend.

Would you settle for Acropora damnfinensis? :D

kindly,

Anthony

all good my friend. It still is quite magnificent! :) I personally am not very strict/interested in species names on cultured sps. I do tow the line though on using scientific names with wild imported corals at large. So many are recognizable and distinct... particlularly thoose outside of Acroporidae (and especially the so-called LPS varieties)

Back