DIY Beckett skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i think you will or would have been happier with the beckett skimmer over a BK anyways Frankie I have read more pros about beckett skimmers over the air/water chopping pump skimmers because they dont kill the organisms and living things going through them. I would like to go to a beckett skimmer someday as well over my current air/water chopper i am running currently.

Great build and very nice craftmanship.

I agree NaTe, the wheel can be very damaging to micro organisms. I have always liked the KZ skimmer design also for that reason. Just not big on the cone thing yet.
I think BK did make a beckett skimmer once if memory serves me right?

that is really cool.....how much did it cost for all the parts to make this skimmer....I'd like to try my hands at it....:)

just curious, a normal beckett has maximum of about 40scfh if you drive it with about 2000gph, do you have any idea how many gph's are driving your modded beckett injectors, and how much air they are pulling?

Good question.
I never thought about the air getting cut back or not to be honest. My main focus was to increase bubble count and surface area.
I have thought about adding an air gauge like the original and may do just that now because you have me curious.

Good question.
I never thought about the air getting cut back or not to be honest. My main focus was to increase bubble count and surface area.
I have thought about adding an air gauge like the original and may do just that now because you have me curious.

Any new response on this? I'm curious to know if the performance is better than what a manufacturer can produce. It would be a great testament to how well DIY projects really are! I had never seen this build until now. Great job dude!!

Any new response on this? I'm curious to know if the performance is better than what a manufacturer can produce. It would be a great testament to how well DIY projects really are! I had never seen this build until now. Great job dude!!

Not much I can do atm. I need a tank to put it on first and the one I am building now is too small for this skimmer.

I will be making a smaller version of this skimmer this winter and will link this thread to that build after it is done.
The smaller build will be done with a single Korallenzucht beckett. I believe that is the reason why they can do a beckett without a pressure rated pump. It's in the design of the beckett itself.

Nice build.
1 question, does the area where the injectors enter the main mixing area form a large bubble trap. The reason I ask is that my diy beckett developed these bubbles in the main mixing area to the point that I burped this bubble disrupting the foam head every few minutes.

Hello tgfrench,
Not on my build. If you read the build at the point where I build the bottom box you will see that I tilted the inside bottom plate that the 5" tube sits on so the bubbles all go right into the 5" tube with no build up. That is how I stopped the burping issue with this skimmer.
The bubble plate also helps to break up any large bubbles that may gather.
Frank

Back